Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Family History Photographs > Decades of Family History Photographs

Old 07-02-13, 14:09

OH's paternal grandfather Peter Henry Harrison 1885-1965

(yes he does exist)

Sometime after 1903 when he joined the KOYLI's. No moustache and he has one in 1915 and always after that.

Old 07-02-13, 18:23

Default Walter Berry - maternal grandfather

Probably the 1900s. My grandfather Walter Berry is 3rd from right in the back row with the big ears. Don't laugh, they afforded him perfect pitch which I think he might have inherited through his mother's Pickles line from Cowling. Walter's full name was Walter Pickles Berry.

These are the men of the Ingram Organ shop in Edinburgh. Walter had completed a seven-year apprenticeship with the Laycock & Bannister organbuilding firm in the Glusburn / Crosshills / Sutton-in-Craven area of West Yorkshire where he was born.

In 1900 he married, and in 1905 moved his wife and two daughters to 5 Shandon Place, Edinburgh where a third daughter was born. The family archives are full of postcards from Walter working abroad in those days, many of them from Holland. In 1912 they left Edinburgh to settle in the United States.

The back of the photo is imprinted with "J. Anderson, 121, High Street, Dunbar" so perhaps a day's outing at the sea? A completely irrelevant aside: just across the street from the photographer's shop is the birthplace of John Muir who emigrated to the U.S. and became a renowned naturalist.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 26-02-13, 09:20
tenterfieldjulie

Default 1902 Coolgardie WA

My paternal grandparents, Leonard Hubert Lionel Smith and Miriam Symons Bryant
Old 26-02-13, 10:21

My grandfather, Maurice Gleeson (1864-1929), holding my father, also named Maurice,(1905-1983), while my grandmother, Johanna (Judith?) nee Ryan,(1868-1845), holds the twin, Patrick (1905-1908). The photo would have been taken ca 1906, possibly in Kookynie, WA, but more likely Kalgoorlie WA
Old 26-02-13, 10:25

My mother , Berril Pinker and her sister Madeline, photo taken in Perth WA ca 1910

Old 02-03-13, 15:20

Florence Carsons, my maternal grandmother (seated on the grass on the left) with her parents & siblings and paternal grandmother & aunt, taken in about 1908 in SW London.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 03-03-13, 14:10

My OH's paternal grandparents Thomas George and Annie Hughes with their family. Taken around 1910. My late Father in Law is the boy front left next to his mother and he was born in September 1901.

Ann SWINDALE 1865-1942 OH's paternal grandmother Not sure when taken. If that is her OH with her he died in 1919. Ann was 7 years younger than her husband.

Old 17-03-13, 09:28
tenterfieldjulie

Default Sarah Smith nee Ware born Bucks died NSW

I can't get over the fact that when Sarah (who is my great grandmother) died in 1906, she was 65 years of age. This photo would have been taken not many years before... This large portrait hung in our home when I was growing up and I thought she was absolutely ancient ... now I'm not that far from that age .. I'm not ancient
Old 17-03-13, 09:48

Julie, if you gave her modern clothes and a different hairdo she wouldn't look nearly so old as she has an unlined, young face.
Old 17-03-13, 10:34
tenterfieldjulie

She has a serene face .. not sure why after 14 children and four of them dying at a young age .. moving from Bucks to the remote Rocky River in NSW must have taken a lot of courage too .. she rode side saddle with kids behind as well!! .. the story goes that when the men left to do stock work that she dressed as a man so that it didn't look like there were no men there !! Julie