Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 20-09-12, 21:39

I've only watched it today.

I knew Shepherd St rang a bell so looked it up on Google maps.

It's where The Mayfair Hotel is, my daughter and I stayed there when she won an award when she worked for Barclays.

Loads of celebs hang out there.

On another note, my 3 x great grandfather was a lodging house keeper...................................should I be worried?
Old 21-09-12, 10:14

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
I've only watched it today.

I knew Shepherd St rang a bell so looked it up on Google maps.

It's where The Mayfair Hotel is, my daughter and I stayed there when she won an award when she worked for Barclays.

Loads of celebs hang out there.

On another note, my 3 x great grandfather was a lodging house keeper...................................should I be worried?
If a man was 'keeping house' that would be unusual
Old 21-09-12, 10:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
1817 and 1818 Lands Rax Records show Michael Braham at 25 New Bedford Court, occupation: glass cutter.

1818 and 1819 Poll Books have him at Bedford Court and a glass cutter. This suggests that he had property rights and money.

The Standard report of 22 December 1873 says that Elizabeth Braham was 'the widow of a china and stoneware merchant'.
Correction - the OH says that Middlesex was a constituency where you were eligible to vote if you had a hearth. There were about 6,000 men eligible to vote at the time MB appears in the Poll Books.
Old 21-09-12, 10:21

From the Jewish Chronicle:

Dr Evans said: “Alex always wondered whether there was any Jewish heritage or origin in the family’s past. Her maternal grandmother had always suggested there might have been, and we could prove she was right.”
Using material from sources that included the JC archives, Dr Evans was able to trace Ms Kingston’s Ashkenazi relatives back to their arrival in the East End in Georgian times.

The Braham family were members of Duke’s Place Synagogue, built near Aldgate in the late 17th century. Ms Kingston’s great-great-grandmother, Elizabeth, worked in a number of jobs including peddling and running a brothel, before doing well enough to buy property overlooking the newly built London Zoo in north London.
Old 21-09-12, 13:07

I loved the look on her face when she discovered what they were up to at the lodging house! Although I kind of guessed a minute or so earlier when I saw the occupations of lodging house keeper and dressmakers in the same house...
Old 21-09-12, 13:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
If a man was 'keeping house' that would be unusual
He may have been a pimp!

Old 21-09-12, 14:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
He may have been a pimp!

Ooh-er, missus!
Old 22-09-12, 12:42

"Having discovered a twig on my own tree which contains a relative and her husband who ran a "house of ill repute" (a tavern in 18th century London actually but an Old Bailey trial record makes it quite clear what their secondary business was), I know that it does induce a certain amount of hilarity when you first find the evidence. "

"On another note, my 3 x great grandfather was a lodging house keeper...................................should I be worried?"

"He may have been a pimp!"

My 4x gt grandfather was a lodging house keeper in Limehouse in the East End of London....and he was the husband of the tavern keeper's niece .I already have evidence that my 4xgt grandmother spent time with her aunt and uncle at the tavern so maybe it is a "profession" that ran in my family!
Old 22-09-12, 14:17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
"Having discovered a twig on my own tree which contains a relative and her husband who ran a "house of ill repute" (a tavern in 18th century London actually but an Old Bailey trial record makes it quite clear what their secondary business was), I know that it does induce a certain amount of hilarity when you first find the evidence. "

"On another note, my 3 x great grandfather was a lodging house keeper...................................should I be worried?"

"He may have been a pimp!"

My 4x gt grandfather was a lodging house keeper in Limehouse in the East End of London....and he was the husband of the tavern keeper's niece .I already have evidence that my 4xgt grandmother spent time with her aunt and uncle at the tavern so maybe it is a "profession" that ran in my family!
One daughter was a milliner, does that have the same *nudge nudge wink wink* as a dressmaker?
Old 22-09-12, 15:01

And there were many dressmakers and shirtmakers in later generations of the particular family I'm talking about!!!!