Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 08-08-13, 09:11

Oh yes, Shona - I'd forgotten that he was married and that his widow would therefore have been his next of kin.
Old 08-08-13, 09:11

Gregor and Margaret McGregor had a son named George Alexander McGregor. Baptised in Liverpool in 1904. Father's occupation - stonemason.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/21...nSearchResults
Old 08-08-13, 15:29

I found this episode very enthralling, although the ground (WW2, flying heroism, illigitimacy, adultery etc has all been covered before). Minnie came across as very natural, no blubbing or "OMG!" every 2 minutes. It was lovely that she was so thrilled to get a photo of her grandfather, a moment I'm sure most family historians could empathise with. The best of this current series so far.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 08-08-13, 16:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell View Post
I found this episode very enthralling, although the ground (WW2, flying heroism, illigitimacy, adultery etc has all been covered before). Minnie came across as very natural, no blubbing or "OMG!" every 2 minutes. It was lovely that she was so thrilled to get a photo of her grandfather, a moment I'm sure most family historians could empathise with. The best of this current series so far.
I feel the same, even though I was having a little moan before the programme about it being another WW2 one which usually spells "boring" to me. Somehow it was different from other war episodes , perhaps because it was less about battles and more about the men involved and I did like Minnie. She came across as a really nice person with a very infectious laugh. She did shed a little tear over what she learned about her father but, given that it WAS her father whom she clearly loved dearly,that was natural. It must be very harrowing to find out things that you didn't know about a parent.
Old 08-08-13, 19:52
Administrator

I just watched the programme on iPlayer.

I really enjoyed it. Minnie seemed lovely.

I did notice Minnie's father had a full sister as well as a half brother, but I don't think they mentioned her. His sister died in 1930 when Ronnie was about 9.

I too remember seeing photos of my paternal grandparents for the first time and also learning more about my father via his service records just like Minnie did, which made it especially interesting for me.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010