Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 15-08-15, 09:32

Default Ancestry Moan!

I uploaded my FTM tree to Ancestry a few weeks back. It's a private tree, but I invited 2 people to view it. Neither of them have been able to do so.

So, I sent Ancestry an email explaining this. This is the reply I have just received (quote):

I apologize that this is occurring on your side, I has looked at this account and I checked it you were on the do not email list, you were not. However the invitees might not be recieving them because they are blocked, tell them to call in so we can get this resolved for you Terri.

Can anyone translate that? PS The invitees are receiving the mails - that's how I know they can't access the tree!

Also, please can I send someone who knows about these things an invite to the tree to see if they can access it, or can figure out why not?
Thank you.

Last edited by Terri; 15-08-15 at 09:49.
Old 15-08-15, 09:59
Administrator

"I has looked at this account and I checked it you were on the do not email list, you were not" = "I have looked at this account, and I checked whether you were on the 'do not email' list but you were not".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
Also, please can I send someone who knows about these things an invite to the tree to see if they can access it, or can figure out why not?
Thank you.
I'll send you a PM with my ancestry username so you can send me an invitation to view the tree and I'll see if I can access it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-08-15, 10:16

Thank you Kite, I didn't even know there was a do not email list.
Old 15-08-15, 10:37

You did it!!!! Brilliant!
I am hoping that means that Ancestry have fixed whatever was wrong then. I haven't asked the other invitees today yet and I've no idea what the process is from the invitee end.
THANK YOU KATE, saved the day again!

Last edited by Terri; 15-08-15 at 10:39.
Old 15-08-15, 10:39
Administrator

Yes, it worked for me and I was able to view your tree.

Old 15-08-15, 12:12

do they have to have a sub to view your tree?
Old 15-08-15, 12:33
Administrator

I think so, Julie.

Old 15-08-15, 12:51
maggie_4_7

No they don't the invite email will create a username for them when they follow the link, they need not have a subscription just a username and password.

The invitees wouldn't be able to see actual records that need a subscription to view that were attached to the tree but they can see any media or records attached manually and the timeline of each ancestor profile.

A bit concerned about this response from a large corporation that must have a lot of capital and turnover.

"I apologize that this is occurring on your side, I has looked at this account and I checked it you were on the do not email list, you were not. However the invitees might not be recieving them because they are blocked, tell them to call in so we can get this resolved for you Terri."

They don't seem to have a good command of English or grammar which should be a prerequisite for communicating with clients and customers.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 15-08-15 at 12:54.
Old 15-08-15, 15:03

Maggie, I was astonished by the reply and I suspect that whoever wrote it doesn't have English as their first language. Are Ancestry now outsourcing part of their customer service department to Calcutta, perhaps????
Old 15-08-15, 15:14
Administrator

I can see why they rely so heavily on copy-and-paste standard replies now! But it looks to me as though it is written by someone who has English as their first language, but who doesn't know much about punctuation and can't be bothered to check what they have typed.