Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 31-08-12, 15:16

Numerous sources have his full name as Patrick Hewes Stewart. The following are usually accurate.

The IMdb - film database:

'Mini Biography

Patrick Hewes Stewart was born in Mirfield, Yorkshire, England. He was a member of various local drama groups from about age 12....'

Also National Portrait Gallery. Here's the ref:

'Sir Patrick Hewes Stewart

by Nadav Kander
archival pigment print, September 2008
17 5/8 in. x 14 7/8 in. (448 mm x 378 mm) image size
Given by Nadav Kander, 2008
Photographs Collection'

www.biography.com

'Early Life

Actor, writer, director, and producer. Born Patrick Hewes Stewart on July 13, 1940, in Mirfield, England...'

The only reference I saw to grandfather William Stewart, stage carpenter, was in the Daily Telegraph.
Old 31-08-12, 15:21
Administrator

Yes, I saw those, but am surprised they say that that when it doesn't seem to be his birth name or name at marriage.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 31-08-12, 19:51
maggie_4_7

I didn't think it was boring at all I enjoyed this program however it probably would have been best suited to 'What my father did in the War'

If they were going to concentrate on one man they should have looked at his life in it's entirety i.e. his parents and his life before the relationship with Patrick's mother and his army career all of those components could have had an influence on his character and personality even more so than his experience in the War.

I thought Patrick Stewart came across as a very nice and forgiving man.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 31-08-12 at 19:56.
Old 01-09-12, 16:10
Administrator

When his knighthood was listed in the London Gazette, it just said "Patrick Stewart", so if he does have a middle name, he acquired it since the end of 2009!

http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issu.../supplements/1

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-09-12, 17:58
Administrator

I loved the programme and liked the idea of just concentrating on one ancestor for a change. It gave the programme more depth for me and I wasn't forever trying to recall what had already been said.

And I could listen to him all day.

Old 02-09-12, 11:49

He does have a beautiful voice... and after listening to his brother, you could tell what bits of it had been classically trained!
Old 05-09-12, 16:47

it just be his professional name as actor when they join equity cannot have a name someone else has

And i love this show too as it showed a story i had never heard before
Old 05-09-12, 17:18
Administrator

He has never been listed as Patrick Hewes Stewart in any credits that I have ever seen, Tinkerbe. And I have watched every episode of Star Trek The Next Generation, some many times over!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 08-09-12, 07:24
maggie_4_7

When you join Equity if someone else has the same name you have to do something to distinguish yourself from the other person that may mean adding a middle name or changing your name entirely - adding a middle name is more sensible then you can use your own name without the added middle name if you change it entirely you have to use that name in credits not your real name.

This is perhaps why there is a discrepancy on his middle name.

Of course maybe there is another entirely different reason.

Edited to say: Although it seems Equity discourages people to just add a middle name! Maybe he just added himself when someone died of that name that he was close to I have known that happen before.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 08-09-12 at 07:44.
Old 08-09-12, 08:05
Administrator

Perhaps it's a name he added for personal reasons at some point, but it's neither his Equity name nor his birth name are those are both just 'Patrick Stewart'. I see one website states the middle name appears in his Debrett's entry in 2007. I would like to know if that is correct. Pity they didn't mention which Debrett's work that was - presumably this one: Debrett's People of Today

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010