Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 04-03-13, 11:02

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Not found one yet, but the executors named in the National Probate Calendar are Robert Gladstone esquire of Woolton Vale near Liverpool and Henry Parkinson Sharp esquire of 102 Piccadilly, in case their names turn out to be a clue.
Also his age on the death index is 63.
As Charles was a Conservative, I wonder if Robert Gladstone is William Ewart Gladstone's brother who was named Robertson Gladstone, but often called Robert. Robertson had a son named Robertson in Liverpool. The Bells seem very well connected.
Old 04-03-13, 11:05
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
Brilliant work, Kiterunner.

I've been checking out the baptisms and there are three Bell sons baptised on 5 April 1815 at Hackney St John to Thomas Bell, general merchant, of Well Street, and Anna Maria:

- Richard, reported born 8 May 1810
- Alfred, reported born 26 July 1811
- Thomas

I can't make out what the entry says relating to Richard and Alfred - possibly Paroifsien?
Of course you meant to put Edward as the third name, not Thomas! It does have his date of birth too but very hard to make out.
There is also a Russell on the next page, reported born 14 Jany 1815. I think the funny word is just the name of "by whom the ceremony was performed" as that is the title of the column.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-03-13, 11:06
Administrator

Quote:
As Charles was a Conservative, I wonder if Robert Gladstone is William Ewart Gladstone's brother who was named Robertson Gladstone, but often called Robert. Robertson had a son named Robertson in Liverpool. The Bells seem very well connected.
Interesting!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-03-13, 12:05

A few more snippets before I head into the garden to dig up some different roots!

1858/9 Directory
Edward Bell, Paddington Street

1865 Sands Street Directory
Edward Bell, city engineer, 39 Cumberland Street, West Side

Edward styled himself Edward Bell M. Inst. C.E.
Old 04-03-13, 13:19
maggie_4_7

Mm that Sancton Wood I found - well his mother was Harriet Elizabeth Russell who married John Wood at St Pancras Parish Chapel but they came from Hackney could Harriet be Anna Maria's sister?
Old 04-03-13, 13:24
maggie_4_7

Also Mary Ann wife put Hackney as birth place there is a baptism for a Mary Ann Owen approx right year and at St John's Hackney sorry on iPhone so can't get link - just in case it turns out to be the right Mary! Found it yesterday.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 04-03-13 at 13:27.
Old 04-03-13, 13:35
maggie_4_7

Forgot to say well done Kiterunner and Shona I really enjoy these type of threads. Good detective work and nouse.
Old 04-03-13, 13:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie_4_7 View Post
Mm that Sancton Wood I found - well his mother was Harriet Elizabeth Russell who married John Wood at St Pancras Parish Chapel but they came from Hackney could Harriet be Anna Maria's sister?
You're right!

There is a user-submitted genealogy on FS, which gives the following info.

John Russell (born 1755, Tetbury) married Elizabeth Lloyd in 1772. They had the following children.

- John Charles, 11 Oct 1773 to 10 Nov 1848
- Harriot Elizabeth, 15 March 1775
- Anna Maria, 1776
- Mary, 1777
- George, 1780
- Sarah Priscilla, 1783-1786
- Sally, 1786
- Matilda, 1789-1789

John Russell died in Tetbury in May 1806. But it appears Elizabeth died either at the time of Matilda's birth or shortly after - in 1789.

Last edited by Shona; 07-03-13 at 09:20.
Old 04-03-13, 13:48

Still want to find the first Sancton, but I've got some primroses and snowdrops to divide, as well as replanting self-seeded foxgloves, hollyhocks and evening primroses.

Back later!
Old 04-03-13, 13:54
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Still want to find the first Sancton, but I've got some primroses and snowdrops to divide, as well as replanting self-seeded foxgloves, hollyhocks and evening primroses.

Back later!
If you look up this thread you'll find a post from me that says they were named after an Uncle Phillip Sancton a very wealthy London merchant banker from an old family in Cumberland his will is on the National Probate 1886 sadly he left all his money to two of his nephews one of them being Sancton Wood!

I think you'll find that all these connections lead back to Brigham in Cumberland! I think the Bells came from there too!

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 04-03-13 at 14:00.