Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 20-09-12, 12:37

Looking at the will entry for Elizabeth Braham on Ancestry.

It says:

Elizabeth Braham

Effects under £1,000. This grant ceased and expired. A will dated 23 January 1873 proved at the Principal Registry January 1874.

16 August 1873. Administration of the effects of the Elizabeth Braham, late of Tichfield-terrace, St John's Wood, who died 22 April 1873 at 8 Tichfield-terrace was granted at the Principal Registry under certain limitations to Samuel Walker of 61 Coleman Street, City of London, auctioneer and surveyor.

Does this mean that Rosa received nothing?
Old 20-09-12, 13:15
Administrator

Not necessarily.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 20-09-12, 13:44
Administrator

It looks as though Rosa Matilda Braham married an Alfred Good Oct-Dec 1877 Kensington.

This could be them in 1881 at 28 Barrow Hill Rd, Marylebone:
Alfred Good Head Mar 26 Cabman Middlesex St Pancras
Rosa Do Wife 27 Do Kensington
Sophia Do Dau 3 Do Marylebone
Alfred L Do Son 1 Do Do

And in 1891, at the same address, occupying 2 rooms:
Good Alf H(ead) M 32 Cab Driver London St Pancras
Rose Braham W(ife) 36 " Brompton
Sophia D(aughter) 12 Scholar " Marylebone
Alf Geo S(on) 8 " " "
Fr Ch S(on) 4 " " "
Arthur Wm S(on) 2 " " "

So it doesn't look as though she inherited much!

Old 20-09-12, 13:48
Administrator

In 1901 Alfred is a widower and the youngest child is Albert E age 9. The family are occupying 3 rooms at 5 Belgrave Gardens, Marylebone. Death of Rose Matilda Good Apr-Jun 1895 Marylebone, age given as 40, but I think it must be her.

Old 20-09-12, 13:55
Administrator

And in 1891 Louis is living in 3 rooms with his wife and two sons, he is living on own means but Bessie is a dressmaker and both the sons have jobs, so it doesn't look as though Louis ended up rich either.

Old 20-09-12, 14:10
Administrator

From the Standard, 22 Dec 1873:

EMANUEL AND OTHERS V BRAHAM. - In this probate suit, the plaintiffs propounded the will of the late Mrs. Elizabeth Braham, of Tichfield-terrace, Regent's Park, who died on the 22d April last, at the age of eighty-four. The will is dated 20th January, 1873, and is opposed by the defendant, the testatrix's son, on the usual grounds of informal execution, incapacity, and undue influence on the part of the plaintiffs. He also set up another will, dated in January, 1863. - Dr. Tristram and Mr. Inderwick were counsel for the plaintiffs; and Dr. Dean, Q.C., and Mr. R. A. Bayford, for the defendant. - The testatrix was an old lady, the widow of a china and stoneware merchant, who died possessed of freehold property to the extent of some 300l., and of leasehold property to the amount of about 1200l. She had four children, a son and three daughters, the husbands of the latter being the plaintiffs, and the former the defendant, in the cause. By the will the old lady leaves her freehold property to her son's daughter, Rose Braham, gives all her furniture and one of her freehold houses to her father, and a leasehold house to each of her three daughters. The son now opposes the will on the grounds stated, and sets up a will in his favour executed by the testatrix in 1863. It was stated that the son had been divorced from his wife, and had gone to live with another woman, as accounting for his mother's change in the disposition of her property. - The Solicitor who prepared the will and saw it executed, and a number of other witnesses, were called, all of whom spoke as to the perfect competency of the testatrix at the time the will was executed. - The case was not finished at the rising of the Court.

I'll see if I can find the conclusion...can't find any more about it, sorry.

(How can she possibly have left anything to her father if she was 84?! Or is it a roundabout way of saying "her son", i.e. her son's daughter's father? I seem to remember when the will was read out on the programme, the furniture went to her son.)

Old 20-09-12, 14:14
Administrator

Unseen footage:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazi.../footage/13826

Old 20-09-12, 14:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
From the Standard, 22 Dec 1873:

EMANUEL AND OTHERS V BRAHAM. - In this probate suit, the plaintiffs propounded the will of the late Mrs. Elizabeth Braham, of Tichfield-terrace, Regent's Park, who died on the 22d April last, at the age of eighty-four. The will is dated 20th January, 1873, and is opposed by the defendant, the testatrix's son, on the usual grounds of informal execution, incapacity, and undue influence on the part of the plaintiffs. He also set up another will, dated in January, 1863. - Dr. Tristram and Mr. Inderwick were counsel for the plaintiffs; and Dr. Dean, Q.C., and Mr. R. A. Bayford, for the defendant. - The testatrix was an old lady, the widow of a china and stoneware merchant, who died possessed of freehold property to the extent of some 300l., and of leasehold property to the amount of about 1200l. She had four children, a son and three daughters, the husbands of the latter being the plaintiffs, and the former the defendant, in the cause. By the will the old lady leaves her freehold property to her son's daughter, Rose Braham, gives all her furniture and one of her freehold houses to her father, and a leasehold house to each of her three daughters. The son now opposes the will on the grounds stated, and sets up a will in his favour executed by the testatrix in 1863. It was stated that the son had been divorced from his wife, and had gone to live with another woman, as accounting for his mother's change in the disposition of her property. - The Solicitor who prepared the will and saw it executed, and a number of other witnesses, were called, all of whom spoke as to the perfect competency of the testatrix at the time the will was executed. - The case was not finished at the rising of the Court.

I'll see if I can find the conclusion...can't find any more about it, sorry.

(How can she possibly have left anything to her father if she was 84?! Or is it a roundabout way of saying "her son", i.e. her son's daughter's father? I seem to remember when the will was read out on the programme, the furniture went to her son.)
Fascinating! I agree that it's Rosa's father.

Reading the parts of the will they didn't highlight in the episide, 52 Cochrane Street was left to Louis B, 58 to Frances and her husband Silvester Saloman, 56 to Sophia Morey. That leaves 54, which I assume must have gone to Eve Emanuel. Rosa is left the two freehold properties in Poplar.

One of he executors has the surname Salomon.

Eve Emanuel died in 1884. Laurence died in 1887.

My earlier note says that Louis Braham died in 1883 and left £63,479.
Old 20-09-12, 14:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Ooh, I think that York Street address was where Eve Braham married Lawrence Emmanuel!
The certificate states: 'marriage solemnised, 32 York Street, according to the rights and ceremonies of the Jewish religion.'

Eve's address was 20 King Street.
Old 20-09-12, 15:00

"(How can she possibly have left anything to her father if she was 84?! Or is it a roundabout way of saying "her son", i.e. her son's daughter's father? I seem to remember when the will was read out on the programme, the furniture went to her son.)"

I thought exactly the same and had to read it again to come to the conclusion that it is just clumsily written English. They clearly needed a Gwynne overlooking the work of their reporters before it went to print!