Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 22-02-15, 19:14
Administrator

if she reads this thread it would save time!! lol (only joking!)

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 22-02-15, 19:48

As Merry said upthread, you only have to point out, or query, the most recent mistake. Once she realises she is wrong, she will realise the rest of it is wrong too.

EDIT - I only wish someone had pointed out I went wrong on my father's grandmother. That would have saved me many years of researching the wrong family in the days before the internet!

OC

Last edited by Olde Crone; 22-02-15 at 19:50. Reason: Afterthought
Old 22-02-15, 23:02

Not sure she will realise that the rest is wrong too.

I've just had to correct someone's tree (I'd gone the wrong way way until I got a marriage certificate). Well they've corrected it up to a point but still have them with parents and siblings of the wrong family.
Old 23-02-15, 10:10

I think Julie's hit the nail on the head. Judging from the message I've received I'd say that she's not actually doing proper research ie looking at records etc and that she's just adding people to her tree from other trees that she believes is relevant.
I've just replied to her telling how long I'd been researching and told her that I was still finding mistakes I'd made as more records come on line
I've given myself a bit more time by telling her that my Ancestry tree needs to be brought up to date to help her best - which is true, I don't put everything on there. And I'll probably make a separate tree of just my fathers ancestors so that my mother's and OH's trees don't get mangled into hers too! I know it's a bit iffy giving her access to any version of my tree but I think trying to explain the research process by email, person by person is far too daunting for me.....

Of course I could always do as Merry suggested and pass the buck over to you!! I know Kite loves a challenge
Old 23-02-15, 13:59
Administrator

lol!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010