Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 29-09-22, 20:24
Administrator

This is so frustrating!
They came back to me and said -
If there's a further grant then the grant associated with the will required ordering to enable us to provide you with a copy of the will.

So I have gone back in to order a copy of the 1910 grant which says (with will) on Ancestry. When I enter the 1910 date the probate site does not find anything, so I cannot order it because the order form only appears with the probate calendar image when it finds it.

I will go back to them again!

When we have passed a certain age, the soul of the child we were
and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 29-09-22, 20:43
Administrator

I searched for the person below him on the probate register, got an image associated with that, and then entered the details for William Cheek Bousfield instead when I finalised the order.
There are now 3 options for what happens next, I get the wrong will, I get the right will, and/or I confuse them completely!

and the souls of the dead from whom we have sprung come to lavish on us their riches and their spells
(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 30-09-22, 08:59

Oh, for the good old days of Oscar!

No help to you, Chris, but when we ordered wills in the past, after we had paid at the little hatch, Oscar, a tall thin elderly man in grey, who viewed you above his spectacles as if you were the lowest form of life, took your order. Besides your completed request form, you had to bring the volume from which you had abstracted it, so he could check that the details were absolutely correct.

I found his meticulous precision terrifying, but a friend assured me that he was really a sweetie. However, one day they lost my application, had to resend it, and he pencilled my name down as Grenda! All credibilty lost!
Old 30-09-22, 14:29
Administrator

If you look at the latest Lost Cousins newsletter, there is a link through to a discussion of the probate service website where a lot of people seem to have been having similar problems with their orders.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-10-22, 16:32

You may be able to get a copy of wills from the local Record Office, but it'll cost more.
Old 01-10-22, 20:23
Administrator

I will see what happens from my latest application, and if that does not turn up anything I will give up for now. It is not my family, so I am only really looking because I am nosy and I don't like to leave an unsolved mystery in my work!

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 03-10-22, 08:21
Administrator

My method worked and I have the correct will! He mentions his niece Margaret Rebekah Clara Anderson a number of times, but nowhere says just how she is his niece! So that does not help. Bother! At this point I give up.

(Marcel Proust)

Christine
Old 04-10-22, 07:10
maggie_4_7

William Cheek Bousfield and Rebecca Richings had two sons named Henry both lived to adulthood.

Henry Robinson Bousfield born 1827 died 1857 in Hackney. The other named Henry Brougham Bousfield born 1832. Weird to name two sons Henry who both survived to adulthood.

There isn't much information on Henry Robinson but have you considered that he may be Henry Anderson and the two Anderson children's father rather than Sophia and this elusive Minnie Cuthbert died quite early on.

Just a thought, perhaps a daft thought though.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 04-10-22 at 07:50. Reason: Typo
Old 04-10-22, 07:47
Administrator

That sounds possible. Minnie Cuthbert could be a completely or partly made up name. What a pity we can't find her daughter in 1851.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-10-22, 07:57
maggie_4_7

He did marry just before his death

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...d=182059382001

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...210?pId=157563

Looks like in joined the Merchant Service

His masters cert

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...002?pId=535009

But a tree online as him either marrying or having a relationship with a Sophia Jane Wellesley in Melbourne in 1854.