Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 10-10-12, 23:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I just found Thomas Cator on ancestry in the Cambridge University Alumni and it says he was born 19 Feb 1790, son of Joseph, gent, of Beckenham, Kent, and Diana... married Lady Louisa Frances Lumley, dau of John, Earl of Scarborough...

Thomas Cator

So Celia's 2xg-grandfather Thomas Cator definitely ties up with my tree. Will have to figure out exactly how we are related tomorrow though!
V impressed. Enjoyed following your posts more than I did the actual episode.
Old 11-10-12, 05:55

OC, I remember the Jean Plaidy book as well:-) There's also a factual account of the murder by Anne Somerset called Unnatural Murder.

I understand why people didn't enjoy it but I like Celia Imrie and the period and I did. I think Celia perhaps should have emphasised that she was fascinated by her ancestor rather than proud of her but then I'd be delighted to have such an interesting ancestor:-) I don't think there's much argument for making Frances a heroine but she was a bit of a victim of the society she was born into and her fight against that was fascinating.
Old 11-10-12, 06:07

I found it interesting but was a bit annoyed about the way she was saying Frances was so brave & good etc, she seemed to forget that she had admitted to murder! Also she seemed shocked that her ancestor had been sentanced to being hung drawn & quartered, as that happened to loads of people, including innocent ones, in Tudor times
Old 11-10-12, 06:51
Administrator

I'm with Asa, I really enjoyed it. I have Norfolk/Suffolk Howards but no connection, I'm sure.

I was fascinated by the politics of the times and do have a grudging admiration for Frances' refusal to be used a a political tool. And for demanding a divorce. That was very brave in such times. Not so admiring of what she did next, obviously, but she could have been executed if the secret came out.

I'd have loved to have an ancestor like William Lord Russell, so involved and commited to justice and against corruption in high places.

Old 11-10-12, 07:55

My other thought is - what a cheap episode this must have been to make!

She hardly needed to move from her computer, all this info is online and even though she did touch the actual papers, there really couldn't have been much cost to the Beeb for this one.

OC
Old 11-10-12, 07:59

I agree with Gwynne, Asa & Lynn, I enjoyed it as well.
It was more of a programme about British history than the usual WDYTYA programmes which deal with specific family history, but this was Celia's family history. I would love to find out that I was related to such a fascinating historical figure, but sadly there's not much chance of that!

I have found that this series of WDYTYA is very 'samey' (is that a word Gwynne? ) and not as interesting generally as previous series. Maybe this is because I'm more experienced in researching my own family history now than when the first series was transmitted, as are we all, so find their research too easy & obvious and full of assumptions. I realise that it is primarily an entertainment programme, but it does make it seem research is easy and that original records are easily accessible to all and this has become more obvious with each successive series.

Sue at Langley Vale
Old 11-10-12, 08:03

I have noticed that in a few, the "celebrity" seems to have family members who already know a lot of the information, so there didn't seem to be much research involved on the BBC's part.

On the paper tree that was shown, was the top person John Neville and was he one of the Warwick Nevilles?
Old 11-10-12, 08:30
Administrator

I've managed to find it on iPlayer, Lynn (time 06:30 if anyone else wants to look at it) and yes, the top person is John Nevill, Marquess of Montagu, who married Isabel Inglethorpe. I have no idea whether he was one of the Warwick Nevilles though!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-10-12, 08:31

Thanks Kate

Just checked, he was brother to the the Earl of Warwick "the kingmaker"

Last edited by Lynn the Forest Fan; 11-10-12 at 08:34.
Old 11-10-12, 08:33
Administrator

Link to the unseen footage, which includes some checking of that family tree:

http://www.whodoyouthinkyouaremagazi.../footage/13852

Sorry to say that the unseen footage is pretty boring too!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update