Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 13-10-21, 06:59

Absolutely loved it. Very engaging personality & gripping revelations.Surely one of the series best.
Re some having no idea if their family history - I was one of them,& only decided to investigate when I was looking for something to practice my very rusty computer skills on when I got my first PC in 2010.The rest is history.
Old 13-10-21, 07:44

I really enjoyed this too. I felt that Josh was instructed to ask questions so that the programme makers could elaborate on the historical context for people with very little historical knowledge.

He did seem very shell-shocked. There were lovely minutes of humour, such as when he discovered his ancestor was Groom of the Stool.

I would like to have seen his parents' reaction when he told them what had been discovered!
Old 13-10-21, 07:44
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinevere View Post
I really enjoyed it. I love Josh. I think he was feigning a lack of knowledge in some areas for the sake of the programme. I loved his enthusiasm.

It was some tree, wasn't it?

At times he seemed shell-shocked.
He will never live it down on The Last Leg! They've already had him dressed as Henry VIII and ribbing him for being a republican! Now I've seen the episode, he did look genuinely impressed!

I do find it a bit irritating when celebs are (apparently) made to appear ignorant of basic history. I can't remember if they've had people where that wouldn't wash (as I said, I've not watched it for years, but the football was on in my house!).

I've just realised why I enjoyed it - no tears (crocodile or otherwise) from anyone or gross misunderstandings about the way people lived in the past or trying to put current values on historical events. I did notice they very much glossed over how the banking family made their wealth.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-10-21, 07:58

I always thought that the name Lettice was pronounced like lettuce,

So did I and I thought Knollys was pronounced exactly as written. I wondered if they were doing a Hyacinth Bucket by pronouncing Lettice the way they did!

I really enjoyed this episode. Of course the actual history wasn't a revelation (although I had to wonder, judging by his reaction when discussing it, if Josh had ever [I]heard[I] of the English Civil War!) but it was very enjoyable to see his connections being revealed one after the other. I loved his reactions as each new one unfolded.
Old 13-10-21, 08:02

only decided to investigate when I was looking for something to practice my very rusty computer skills on when I got my first PC in 2010.

It was researching my family that cured my fear of our first computer back in the early 2000s. Until I discovered what information was available online I was terrified of touching the wrong thing and breaking it. I got so caught up in what I was discovering that I forgot all about that!
Old 13-10-21, 08:54

Did they mention Sabine? Now, I would have been interested in him.
Old 13-10-21, 09:10
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
Did they mention Sabine? Now, I would have been interested in him.
No, they didn't, but it looks like he was a bit distant to Mary I B-G who was Josh's great grandmother and who married in 1921. You have to go back to siblings born just after 1800 to work your way to the cousin relationship.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 13-10-21, 09:12

No, Phoenix, they didn't mention Sabine and like you, I thought that would be more interesting because the Baring Goulds were lesser known than royalty!

OC
Old 13-10-21, 09:13
Administrator

Well, if they did mention it then I must have missed it (maybe Hungary scored?)

Also, the tree I looked at on Ancestry would have to be wrong as I just saw this on Sabine's Wikipedia:

"Josh Widdicombe claims ancestry from Sabine Baring-Gould despite misremembering "Onward, Christian Soldiers" as "Abide with Me", another Victorian hymn."

Old 13-10-21, 10:02
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Well, if they did mention it then I must have missed it (maybe Hungary scored?)

Also, the tree I looked at on Ancestry would have to be wrong as I just saw this on Sabine's Wikipedia:

"Josh Widdicombe claims ancestry from Sabine Baring-Gould despite misremembering "Onward, Christian Soldiers" as "Abide with Me", another Victorian hymn."
The reference for that is an episode of QI from series 17, and they are up to series 19 now, so I would guess that was before he filmed WDYTYA and so he didn't know any details of how he was related to the Barings then?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update