Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 15-12-16, 07:25
Administrator

Default Who Do You Think You Are - Cheryl 15th Dec

Better known as Cheryl Cole, formerly Cheryl Tweedy. But apparently she is just Cheryl now.

On BBC1 at 8 p.m. and repeated next Wednesday at 11:15 p.m.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-12-16, 21:08
Administrator

Cheryl Tweedy was born in 1983 and grew up in Newcastle upon Tyne, one of 5 children. She lives in London now, but her family still live in Newcastle. Her parents separated when she was 11. She went with her younger brother Garry to visit their father, Garry Tweedy sr. He showed her photos of various family members including his father Brian Tweedy who died in 1980, aged 39, when Garry was 17; Brian's parents William Tweedy, a crane driver in a shipyard, and Norah; Norah's mother Mary Kelso.
Garry sr showed Cheryl a family tree of the Tweedy family showing that they were mostly coal miners, with the Kelso side going back to the Laing family who included several mariners, James Laing, a mariner, being the furthest back that the tree went.
Cheryl went to the Discovery Museum in Newcastle to meet the person who runs the archives and showed her the family tree. She was shown her 4xg-grandfather John Wood Laing's mariner's ticket, which said that he was born in North Shields in 1826 and went to sea as a mariner's apprentice in 1845, aged 19. She was also shown a photo of John with his wife Caroline, whom he married in 1849 in North Shields.

The 1851 census showed the family at Gibson's Bank, North Shields, Caroline with daughter Mary Jane age 1. John was not there, presumably away at sea.

Cheryl went to North Shields to meet an historian at the Register Office, and then met a maritime historian at the Old Lowlights Museum. She was told that John became a Second Mate, working in the coal trade. A ship's log from 1851 showed his conduct and sobriety as "very good", with the rest of the small crew "good" or "middling". A log from the ship "Spirit of the Deep" showed that James Laing, John's younger brother, had gone ashore at Hong Kong without leave, and returned two days later unfit for duty. One month later, at Singapore, James had attacked the Mate, been put in irons and later fined.

Cheryl was shown John's Master's Certificate of Competency, dated 1855 when he was 29. His address on this was Church Way, North Shields, a much "posher" area than Gibson's Bank. It was suggested that the photo of him and Caroline may have been taken when he qualified as Master.

John's first ship as Master was the "La Belle", shown on a log dated 19 Aug 1857 as sailing to Quebec, with James in the crew. Cheryl looked at the British Newspaper Archive and found an item in the Morning Chronicle dated 6 Mar 1858 saying that the La Belle had not been heard of since Nov 1857 when it was seen at the Gross and Crane Islands not far from Quebec. The crew list of the return voyage listed all the crew as dead, as it was lost at sea. John died at the age of 32, and Caroline was a widow at 29.

The birth certificate of Cheryl's 3xg-grandfather, also John Wood Laing, showed that he was born on the 11th May 1858, just under 9 months since his father had set sail. The 1861 census showed Caroline as a charwoman. Cheryl was shown John's memorial card.

She then moved on to her mother's side of the family, and went to visit her mother Joan in Newcastle. Joan was born there, the daughter of Joseph Callaghan and Olga nee Ridley. Olga was born in 1932 and had a twin sister Renee. She had told Joan that she was one of 11 children but that most of them were adopted. Joan had never met any of them. Renee's wedding photo included mother Edith Annie, but Joan had never heard anything about her grandfather.

Cheryl ordered copies of Olga's and Renee's marriage certificates. Olga's, from 1954, showed father as Joseph Ridley, deceased, and Renee's, from 1952, as Joseph Wilson Ridley, deceased.

Cheryl looked Joseph Wilson Ridley up online and found him on the 1911 census in County Durham age 29, a grocery warehouse mand, with wife Mary Ann age 27, married 9 years, 3 children. Joseph's army records showed that he was in the Durham Light Infantry from 1914 onwards and served in France. Cheryl went to France to find out about his wartime service. On the way she read a letter from one of Joseph and Mary Ann's grandchildren, which came with a photo of Joseph in his army uniform. The letter said that Joseph and Mary Ann had 9 children before Mary Ann's death in 1930, and that a Mrs Burton was brought in as housekeeper and soon fell pregnant with the twins, causing a scandal.

Cheryl met a military historian who told her that Joseph served at Ypres in 1916 with the 11th Battalion, a Pioneer Unit mostly made up of miners, who dug trenches and built roads, rails and bridges, heavy manual work for which they received extra pay but which would have been tough for someone like Joseph. The Battalion had then marched to the Somme, arriving 2 months into the battle, and had to prepare trenches for a final assault to take the village of Guillemont and then to defend it.

Joseph was promoted to Lance Corporal and returned to the UK in the summer of 1919. He never married Edith Annie, and he died in 1951, 9 years before Joan was born.

Old 15-12-16, 22:04
Administrator

This week's episode seemed pretty slow, with a lot of "filler". I was intrigued to hear that Edith Annie was referred to as "Mrs Burton" and wanted to know whether she was married. Off to check in a minute!

And I was confused by what they said about Cheryl's paternal grandfather Brian Tweedy - I thought they said he died at the age of 39 when Gary was 27? Must have misheard that! I will check on that too.

Also, I always thought that "Laing" was pronounced the same as "Lang" but it was pronounced like Lane with a "ng" on the end in this programme. Maybe I've always thought wrong though!

Old 15-12-16, 22:12
Administrator

Hmm, GRO Birth index for Olga and Renee Ridley Jan-Mar 1932 has MMN as Sanders, and they have been handwritten at the bottom of the page with "See M/39". They appear in the printed list for Jan-Mar 1932 under the surname Burton, with MMN Sanders, and with handwritten additions on the page. So they were originally registered as Burton and then changed to Ridley in 1939.

Old 15-12-16, 22:15
Administrator

Edith A Sanders married Joseph E Burton Jul-Sep 1915 Lanchester district. There sure are a lot of Josephs in Cheryl's tree! Looking at the GRO index, it looks as though Edith Annie had a few children before Olga and Renee, although I won't post up their names until I've checked whether they are deceased as they weren't mentioned in the programme and maybe didn't want publicity?

Old 15-12-16, 22:25

I am a bit confused about Cheryl's Dad too - I thought that they said that his father (Cheryls grandfather) died in 1980 when Gary was 17. Cheryl was born in 1983, therefore Gary would have been 20. Was she the eldest, as I had the impression that she was 4th in the family, in which case Gary must have been very young when the eldest was born?

I also thought it was pronounced "Lang".
Old 15-12-16, 22:26
Administrator

Okay, Cheryl's father must be Garry with two r's and was born 1963, making him 17, not 27, when Brian died. That makes a lot more sense! Will correct the name spelling in the synopsis...

Old 15-12-16, 22:29
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfie View Post
I am a bit confused about Cheryl's Dad too - I thought that they said that his father (Cheryls grandfather) died in 1980 when Gary was 17. Cheryl was born in 1983, therefore Gary would have been 20. Was she the eldest, as I had the impression that she was 4th in the family, in which case Gary must have been very young when the eldest was born?

I also thought it was pronounced "Lang".
Hmm, she said there were 5 children in the family, but maybe they didn't all have the same parents?

Old 15-12-16, 22:30

Ahh - this explains it - from Wikipedia

Cheryl Ann Tweedy was born in Newcastle upon Tyne on 30 June 1983, and grew up on council estates in the neighbouring districts of Walker and Heaton. She is the fourth of five children of Joan Callaghan, and the first of her two children with Garry Tweedy following the collapse of her marriage to the father of her three other children. Callaghan and Tweedy were together for more than a decade but never married each other; they separated when Cheryl was eleven years old
Old 15-12-16, 22:39
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Edith A Sanders married Joseph E Burton Jul-Sep 1915 Lanchester district. There sure are a lot of Josephs in Cheryl's tree! Looking at the GRO index, it looks as though Edith Annie had a few children before Olga and Renee, although I won't post up their names until I've checked whether they are deceased as they weren't mentioned in the programme and maybe didn't want publicity?
One of them, George Edward Burton, died in infancy, birth and death both registered Jan-Mar 1927 Lanchester district. Not sure about the others as there are a lot of people with the same names.