Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 12-01-22, 16:58

Default Victoria, Australia death records

Would they normally say whether the deceased's wife is still alive or not?

I have a death certificate for Daniel Shaw in 1860 registered by the eldest son Neil that gives the name of the wife Ann but doesn't say deceased so would she still be alive? It also lists all his children in Scotland, New Zealand and Australia including a step-son Robert who took his name on emigration.

I am trying to find the death of Ann (Agnes Blue) but not sure where to look and the timeframe.

They emigrated to Adelaide in 1853 and in 1856 an older stepson Alexander married in Long Gulley, South Australia at Daniel's home.

In the 1860 death certificate Neil says his father had lived in Victoria for 7 years.

Is there a way of finding the death more easily ie maiden name etc.
Old 12-01-22, 19:21

I would say she was still alive if it doesn’t have deceased on the cert. However, being so early, you can never be sure.
Do you know if they were still together?
What is the address on the cert?
I’ll have a look around.

Was Agnes Blue her maiden name?
Old 12-01-22, 20:35

Daniel Shaw was a farmer at Bald Hill, nr East Kyneton who’s buried at E.Kyneton cemetery.
She isn’t buried with him according to the inscription we saw in 2005.

Agnes Blue (her maiden name) was married to William Rankin who died before 1841 census.
She married Daniel in 1844 in Rothesay, Bute, Scotland.

In 1841 she was 35 and in 1851 she was 45 but only 40 on immigration to Australia in 1853???

Her son Alexander Rankin moved from South Australia between 1861 and 1863 as daughters Jane Rankin and Eliza were born and died in Victoria before another daughter Margaret was born in Newstead, Victoria in July 1864.

Is there a place called Glen in Victoria where Eliza was supposed to have been born according to an ancestry family tree.
Old 13-01-22, 08:33

Newstead is up towards the goldfields. I can’t find Glen, but there lots of places with Glen in the name. I’m not great the bottom end of our country, so someone else may know a lot more.
The time certainly works in with the gold rush times. Lots of people went there either as diggers or as business people.

Was Neil definitely Ann/Agnes’ son? Could Ann and Agnes be different people?

Do you have Neil’s marriage certificate? It will have his mother’s name. His death cert will also have it. I’m wondering about the dates. Daniel was in Vic for seven years, but his house was also in SA. Either he had two homes or something is not right….
That could be my brain…..lol
Don’t worry about the ages. Women often changed their ages when coming here as they wanted young people. Also coming to SA meant they were free settlers.

I’ll see if I can ask around a few friends who do Vic family history.
Old 13-01-22, 08:41

There is a Newstead and Districts Historical Society. Just make sure it is Victoria as just about every state has a Newstead. I’m on my iPad so it’s a bit different, but if you put in historyvictoria.org.au And then put Newstead in the menu, you might find something or someone you can ask.
Old 13-01-22, 08:49

Many places are listed under the GLEN abbreviation!
As Joyces Creek, where Jane was registered and Newstead are only less than 10 miles apart, I guess it would be a place in proximity to them.

Lots of immigrants "adjusted" their ages, especially those over 40, as younger workers were preferred.

Whether his death certificate recorded if his wife was deceased, might have depended on the question asked - what is/was his wife's name ? is she still alive? Most of the ones I have seen do say deceased, but you cannot just rely on it.

This is the abbreviations Page for place names for Vic BDM
https://bdmabbreviations.steveparker.id.au/

Di
Old 13-01-22, 09:39

Thanks Libby and Di.

Neil is Daniel's son from his first marriage to Ann McMurchie, he later moved to NZ where he married late in life.

Daniel's daughter with Agnes Blue - Jane Shaw b 1846 married on 5 Mar 1869 in Smeaton, Victoria to Robert Strachan Stuart at the home of her brothers

Apart from the immigration record there is no mention of Ann Shaw and no-one who is researching the death of Ann Shaw (Agnes Blue) have a death for her.

She could have died shortly after arriving in Adelaide or outlived Daniel and died in Victoria or even moved back to South Australia with her daughter Jane and her family as she died in Port Augusta, South Australia in 1921.

It is on another ancestry tree that has the place name of Glen for the birth of Eliz.
Old 13-01-22, 10:12

I have just joined a Victorian family history group. Would you like me to ask there?
Old 13-01-22, 10:32

Thanks Libby if it’s not too much trouble and doesn’t cost you anything.
Old 14-01-22, 00:47

I'll admit to being confused.

There are 2 wives Ann and Agnes? If I'm right, surely Ann died in the UK before he married Agnes. Was Daniel a widower at his marriage to Agnes? Not sure if Scottish Certs state that.

Have you looked for a third marriage for Agnes? She may have married again when Daniel died. I think the only way to know for sure she had died before him was if the certificate said deceased but I don't think that was a requirement.

Quick thought - does the certificate say years of marriage? The NSW ones now do, so I'm wondering if the VIC ones do and you could maybe work out if she alive by that.