Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 06-12-21, 12:09

Default There were angels dining at the Ritz....

Or perhaps not, when my cousin's ancestor worked there.

Humphrey Gregory Pridden assumed the name of Timothy Cannon when he worked for a Mr Warren, wine mercant of Piccadilly c 1831: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...rue&pId=359604

In 1829, John Warren is described as of 155 Piccadilly: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

The address varies between 151, 152 and 155 Piccadilly, and in one instance, the description is given that it is opposite Devonshire House. This was a huge town house which lay on the north side of the road. After its demolition, its gates used as an entrance to Green Park. Amazingly, some at least of the road numbering is unchanged, and 151 Piccadilly is where the Ritz now stands.

Of course, I know nothing of HGP's time while he was employed there (nor why he assumed a false name). He and his brother lived on the shady side of the law. He did not become a wine merchant. When the settlement examination was taken, in 1841, he was working as a shoemaker, but had deserted his wife and two children.

Out of curiosity, I traced the Warren family, to see if I could find out more about them. John Warren died in 1837 in his 67th year, and the business appears to have been taken over by his youngest son, George Lockett Warren, who died intestate in 1843.

John's death appears to be equally unexpected: he had written a will, but got nobody to witness it. This version of events appears to have been subsequently contested: can anybody read what is written in the margin on the second page? I am afraid the writing is poorly reproduced: https://www.ancestry.co.uk/discovery...=successSource

I'm just looking for the gist of things, rather than a full transcript.
Old 06-12-21, 12:27
Administrator

I can only read the parts that don't help with that!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 06-12-21, 12:30
Administrator

Sorry there are a lot of ???s and ...s.

On the 29th Nov. 1852 admon of the Goods Chattels and Credits of John Warren late of the 1st Piccadilly in the Parish of Saint George Hanover Square in the County of Middlesex Esquire left unadministered by George Lockett Warren deceased whilst living the ????? one of the Executors named in the said deceased's will was .... Thomas Dodd Keighley of No 73 Basinghall Street in the City of London Gentleman in a ... for that purpose ... on the ... and behalf of John George Edmund Lockett of Henley on Thames in the County of Oxford Esquire ... for only as concerns all the right title and Interest of him the said ???? in and to a certain piece or parcel of Ground and the Messuage or Tenement and premises with their Appurtenances situate lying and being in the Parish of Marylebone fronting towards the South upon Upper Marylebone Street East Upon ???? Street and ???? towards the North and West upon messuage and Ground let or agreed to be let to George Lockett which piece or parcel of Ground is now ..... in the plan or .... thereof ... in the margin of a certain Indenture dated the 14th Augt 1773 ???? to the ... by a certain Indenture dated 1st Sept 1825 and the remainder now to come and ????? of a certain term of forty seven years and one ???? of a year thereby ???? and assigned by the said Indenture of the 1st Sept 1825 ??? all benefit and advantage to be had... but no fault or otherwise ... duty to .... Elizabeth ???? 1st Wife of Charles Burts formerly Warren Spinster the Daughter the other ????? surviving Executor named in the said Deceased's Will having first .... execution thereof ??? by Acts of Court appears

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 06-12-21, 15:47
Administrator

So I think it is saying that the part of the will which concerned the piece of land mentioned had not been administered, but I haven't figured out who was granted administration on that (on behalf of John George Edmund Lockett?) yet. Something like Thomas Codd Reimby?

Old 06-12-21, 15:54
Administrator

Okay, looking at a London directory from the time, it must be Thomas Dodd Keighley. I will put his name into the (partial) transcription.

Old 06-12-21, 15:55
Administrator

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a case of someone contesting the will.

Old 06-12-21, 16:08

Ooh, thank you, Kite. John George Edmund Lockett (unless there were two!) appears to have been the stepson of John Warren's sister Eleanor Lockett. It looks as if her husband made his will a couple of years after marrying her, but it wasnt proved until 1825 :https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...175&pId=423235

This is the first will register I have seen with an illustration in the margin. Unknown man, seen in profile!