Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 20-11-20, 21:22

Default What testators tell us about themselves

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...e16&pId=958914

"Being asked if he had made a will, he answeared that he hadd made one, and that it was in a blacke boxe in his studdie, which was searched for and could not be found..."

"...And then being further asked whether he would likewise give unto his daughter five hundred poundes, he answeared noe, and being therefore requested to expresse what he would give her, he said he desired to be spared."

"being asked... what if his estate would not yeald such large porcons to his said children...what his sayd son Carewe should then have, he answeared that...he should have twice as much as anie other child of his"

I wonder how on earth his poor daughter fared after his death.
Old 20-11-20, 22:04

"......but to my son Christopher I leave one shilling as he hath already cost me two guineas to bring him back into the country". The other four children got vast estates and plenty money. I do wonder what Christopher did, or didn't, do.

OC
Old 20-11-20, 22:18

How intriguing, Phoenix. I can't imagine it did much for family harmony.

Most of my family's Wills have been the standard 'x to my wife and the rest divided between my children', but I'd love to know what was going on in the village where one 18th century maiden aunt lived. First her Will:

'I give and bequeath unto my cousin Thomas Meachel of Wendover gentleman one small parcel sealed up in the presence of my Cousin John Neale and to be delivered to him the said Thomas Meachel at the time of my decease and not to be broken up or meddled with by my executor nor no other person but to be delivered to him just as it is now sealed up '.

Then a couple of years later the above Thomas Machel left a Will which contained generous bequests to the widowed female apothecary who lived in the village, stated that she was to organise his funeral, and added that she 'shall order what Ringers she shall think proper to ring a merry peale att the time that my body is laid in the ground and another merry peale on the morrow morning att sunn riseing'.

I can't help but think there's a lot going on there!
Old 20-11-20, 22:24

I am in the process of transcribing a lengthy PCC will of a widow who is trying to reclaim ancestral lands for her brother in Cornwall. I have never seen a will like it. She gives names of ancestors long dead and cites various documents. I have only done two pages so far. She is obviously obsessed.

When I looked at her in more detail, she married but she and her husband agreed to live apart and he divorced her in America where he was living.

I don't know what happened in the aftermath of the will, but I would imagine it would be impossible to regain the lands. I think her arguments were dubious and the will rambles on and is slightly incoherent! There is also a newspaper report about her claims a few years before she died.
Old 20-11-20, 22:54

Elizabeth's post has reminded me, not of a wiil, but a case in Chancery which rumbled on for over 70 years and through three generations, providing evidence of ownership of ONE FIELD since the 1300s! The judge finally ordered that the field be divided in half.......obsessed is not the word here.

OC
Old 21-11-20, 03:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
"......but to my son Christopher I leave one shilling as he hath already cost me two guineas to bring him back into the country". The other four children got vast estates and plenty money. I do wonder what Christopher did, or didn't, do.

OC
This reminds of Edwards Collis (of Twyford Berks) Will, dated 1759 - " As to my son ffarmbrough Collis and my daughter Elizabeth Fulkar, I give them nothing on account of their many ..... of disobedience".

Everything was left to his two sons Edward and Thomas.
Old 21-11-20, 07:54
Administrator

Quote:
" As to my son ffarmbrough Collis and my daughter Elizabeth Fulkar, I give them nothing on account of their many ..... of disobedience".
Is the missing word 'repeated'? The person recording this will seems to have made a bit of a bodge of the word and I wonder if they then missed out the word 'acts', as "many repeated acts of disobedience" makes a lot more sense.

*puts down deposit on a time machine*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 21-11-20, 08:21

The will I am transcribing is the last one on this page. When you get to the second page you will see what I mean about her obsession!

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageview...=true&pId=9764
Old 21-11-20, 09:34
maggie_4_7

I have never been able to read wills it's just impossible. I have had a few I needed to read and just couldn't do it so I have probably missed some vital information over the years.
Old 21-11-20, 11:20
Administrator

I don't mind having a go for you Maggie. Send me a pm if you like.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010