Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 05-03-17, 20:27

Default C18th century occupations.

As I was bored this afternoon and a lot of Somerset and Gloucestershire images of parish records have been added to ancestry I thought I would spend my time trying to find occupations for as many of my precensus ancestors as I could. Not much luck with the women but my favourite for the men is Fly driver. I know a fly was some sort of cart but I can't help thinking of something like Cinderella's coach. I also have a druggist and dealer which sounds very dodgy and a couple of boys working as pages. Most of the ones I found were Yeomen which covers a multitude of sins in my case a family of property speculators.
Old 05-03-17, 22:07

One of my 19th century ancestors declares himself an ag lab on census. He was in fact a yeoman, owner of 4000 acres!

An 18th century ancestor was a reed maker and I imagined a musical connection whilst wondering how much call there was for oboe reeds in 18 th century rural Lancashire.Turned out he made the straight bits for weaving looms, called reeds!

OC
Old 05-03-17, 22:46
Administrator

I found my late 17th / early 18th century ancestor described as a tobacconist on some records recently, and imagined that he ran a small shop (he was a merchant on other records, but that could also mean shop-keeper), but now I have found out he was a tobacco importer and trader.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-03-17, 22:52

One of my favourites is a family in Yorkshire where several generations worked as butchers and rustic furniture/summerhouse builders. What a weird combination!
Old 06-03-17, 06:33

I have a lot of musical string makers, sometimes harp or violin string makers in C19th London. Originally, I had this romantic notion that they'd brought this trade over from County Cork until I realised it related to them living in the shadows of Smithfields and then Islington Cattle Markets and that there's nothing romantic about the job at all.
Old 06-03-17, 10:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asa View Post
I have a lot of musical string makers, sometimes harp or violin string makers in C19th London. Originally, I had this romantic notion that they'd brought this trade over from County Cork until I realised it related to them living in the shadows of Smithfields and then Islington Cattle Markets and that there's nothing romantic about the job at all.
It was only when I found the man also manufacturing sausage skins, and creating a nuisance, I began to realise my own romantic notions of the chap I was researching were way out of line.
Old 06-03-17, 13:34

Bless us eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
It was only when I found the man also manufacturing sausage skins, and creating a nuisance, I began to realise my own romantic notions of the chap I was researching were way out of line.
Old 07-03-17, 08:35

My 5x great grandfather's burial record states, Rowland Goodfellow was buried at Penrith on 7th May 1707 he was the Town Swineherd.
Old 07-03-17, 09:46
Administrator

19thC, but had to post; OH's relation was urinal cleaner for the parish of St Pancras, Middlesex! Rather him than me!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 07-03-17, 20:00

Someone has to do it, Merry!
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire