Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 22-10-15, 22:48

OH found it very boring. I didn't mind the content but she really got on my nerves. What a droning voice. She'd make a good sedative.
Old 23-10-15, 07:58
Administrator

When she went to the apothecary shop in London and was shown the bills from 1790-1, at first I thought they were just showing her examples of bills from that time, but they turned out to be her actual ancestor's bills. So I was marvelling at the fact that the shop happened to have those particular bills there. But searching on TNA's catalogue reveals that the bills are actually held by Northumberland Archives, along with the letters which she was shown at the family's house.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 23-10-15, 08:18
Administrator

I find it worrying that Frances De La Tour's Wikipedia page has been updated with the citation of The Genealogist's article about her WDYTYA episode. The Genealogist's WDYTYA episodes usually contain several mistakes, although I don't think the specific information used for Wikipedia in this case is wrong. But it doesn't seem a very reliable source.

Old 23-10-15, 08:22
Administrator

Here is Henry and Maria's marriage record on ancestry:
http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/16...nSearchResults

St Marylebone
Henry Jadis of this Parish Esquire, Bachelor, and Maria Elizabeth Adderley of Saint George Hanover Square Spinster were Married in this Church by Licence 9 Oct 1805. Witnesses Edwd Hale Adderley and John Wilkinson.

Interesting to see that Maria is down as a spinster, and no mention of the name Gardner.

Old 23-10-15, 08:37
Administrator

This is the second marriage of Alan Hyde Gardner, on FMP:
http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...hlights=%22%22

St Martin in the Fields, Westminster
The Right Honorable Alan Hyde Lord Gardner single and unmarried and the Honorable Charlotte Elizabeth Smith a Spinster one of the Daughters of the Right Honorable Robert Lord Carrington were married in the dwelling House of the said Lord Carrington, situate at Whitehall in this Parish by a Special Licence 10 Apr 1809.

Old 23-10-15, 08:45
Administrator

TNA's Catalogue has this entry:

Gardner: An Act to dissolve the marriage of The Hon Alan Hyde Gardner with Maria Elizabeth Adderley and to enable him to marry again, and for other purposes
This record is held by Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service: Staffordshire County Record Office

Title:
Gardner: An Act to dissolve the marriage of The Hon Alan Hyde Gardner with Maria Elizabeth Adderley and to enable him to marry again, and for other purposes
Reference: D4452/8/21
Description:
45 Geo III The Hon A H Gardner late of South Audley Street, p St George Hanover Square, Middlesex, Navy Captain (eldest son and heir of The Rt Hon Alan Gardner of Uttoxeter) and Maria Elizabeth Adderley, an infant daughter of Thomas Adderley, late of the City of Dublin deceased, with the consent of her mother The Rt Hon Lady Hobart
Date: 1805
Held by: Staffordshire and Stoke-on-Trent Archive Service: Staffordshire County Record Office, not available at The National Archives

Old 23-10-15, 12:10
Administrator

Here is the baptism of Henry Fenton Gardner, 6 Jan 1807 at St George Hanover Square, son of the Honble Allen Hyde Gardner & Maria Elizabeth his wife, born 8 Dec 1802:

LMA records on ancestry

So it looks as though Maria had him baptised as Alan's son in the hope of him inheriting one day, don't you think?

Old 23-10-15, 14:18
Administrator

Here is Alan and Maria's marriage, in the British India Office records on Findmypast:

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/recor...&highlights=""

St Mary's Church, Fort St George
30 Mar 1796 Captain Alan Hyde Gardner & Miss Maria Elizabeth Adderley

Old 23-10-15, 15:30

Thanks for the info - I must admit to getting a bit confused at times and have just read your threads which really helped me get the gist.

Another forum has put up the Genealogists site which has a couple of other snippetsI found interesting.

https://www.thegenealogist.co.uk/fea...e-la-tour-292/
Old 23-10-15, 16:52
Administrator

I would advise checking anything that appears in The Genealogist's article, because their articles on previous episodes have certainly contained a lot of errors. As for this one, they are making a lot of jumps from GRO indexes to censuses etc without ever taking the trouble to order any certificates, so there could be mistakes.

For instance, they say "It is his mother Edith Jadis (Frances' 2 x great grandmother) whose line provides a great deal of colour to the family story. Our researchers have discovered that she was the daughter of the Reverend John Jadis (1807 - 1863) Vicar of Humbleton, Yorkshire, by entering her name in the Master Search and selecting the 1851 census."
They can't be sure that the Edith on the census is the right one, and that the information on the census is accurate, without checking other sources, such as her marriage certificate, or perhaps the father's will.

And sorry to rant, but I do find it very annoying how The Genealogist will take an entry from the GRO index and work it up into something all fancy-looking with different fonts and everything, and then call it a "Marriage Record" or a "Birth Record" etc. There was one of these in last night's episode and a couple in that article. It isn't a record, just an index entry! I have seen them do it before with a pre-1911 marriage, where you can't even be sure just from the index who married whom.

Their information about "Henry Devereux"'s real identity is very interesting, though. But as I said, I would advise checking it elsewhere to make sure it is right.