Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 18-09-15, 13:38
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post
As the episode progressed, I became more and more annoyed by Anne Reid and her defence of John Reid: 'He only forged a signature, for goodness sake!'
Me too. She didn't seem to realise that by forging David Husband's signature, he was setting him up to be responsible for repaying the £50! What choice did David have other than reporting him? Otherwise he (David) could himself have been sent to a debtors' prison, assuming he didn't have £50 to spare.

Interesting info that you posted about the parish. I see that the parents had to pay school fees, so they should certainly have been able to expect a decent standard of teaching.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 18-09-15, 14:51
maggie_4_7

It is the only one of this series I have seen so far although the others are recorded.

I thought her very bad when she wished horrible deaths for people, not sure who she meant, the people sentencing him or his father in law or both. Terrible thing to say.

She failed to recognise that was the law then, people got transported for far less in those days. They were doing their jobs.

Also David Husband was looking out for his daughter and her children, they needed him, because they sure couldn't rely on John Reid to look after them. Imagine that David Husband had been put in debtors prison over something John Reid had done. The family would have perished no doubt.

Thomas naming his son with the middle names of David Husband was a tribute to his grandfather for looking after them.

Of course John Reid didn't come back to Britain even though it seemed he could have given his lifestyle/occupation. Had he wanted to he would have found the money after all he was an 'entrepreneurial' type person

I think she was very insulting to both ancestors John Reid's wife and her father David.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 18-09-15 at 14:53.
Old 18-09-15, 15:00
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret in Burton View Post
I have to agree that her attitude was very annoying. It spoilt what would have been a very interesting episode.

After we had watched that we watched a couple from the latest American version on the watch channel. They were much more interesting.
Josh Groban the singer and Angie Harmon from the USA cop series Rizzoli and Isles.
They both ended up in Germany, Josh in the 1600's. Very interesting the amount of information that was there and had survived two world wars.
I have to agree if she had been more pragmatic and sensible and accepted the facts it would have been very interesting. It looks like Kiterunner has found more information on his exploits.

One has to face the truth about our ancestors neither proud nor being ashamed. Just listen to the story and take the facts as it was then. Rather than now.
Old 18-09-15, 16:29

Found this in the Mirror:

During her time on the show, Anne also found out that her mother's mum was born under a covered wagon in America.

'They said my family history was interesting enough to make three episodes - for some reason that makes me feel really proud,' she added.
Old 18-09-15, 17:15

It's rather gratifying that I'm not the only one to have been irritated by her last night. I got the feeling that David Nash (the historian in Edinburgh) thought her reaction a tad over dramatic when he tried to tell her that value of the bill of exchange. £50 in 1840, a fortune! Silly woman, I used to like her!
Old 18-09-15, 17:55
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

During her time on the show, Anne also found out that her mother's mum was born under a covered wagon in America.
I looked on the WDYTYA magazine site to see whether they had any "unseen footage" but there doesn't seem to be any.

Old 18-09-15, 18:08

There was an article in the Telegraph about her yesterday, apparently her father ran a spy ring in Greece at the end of WW2 but that didn't feature either. He was a Telegraph journalist at one point.
Old 18-09-15, 18:31

£40 in 1840 would be worth between £3,226.00 to £135,400.00 today.
Old 18-09-15, 23:07

Did I imagine that I saw the name "David Reid" as one of the signatories on the promissory note?

Shona - £50 was roughly two years wages for an ag lab, so I'm not surprised David Husband didn't want to cough that up without a fuss! Of course, we do not know whether the family had paid off previous debts etc and this was the last straw.

OC
Old 19-09-15, 15:28
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Did I imagine that I saw the name "David Reid" as one of the signatories on the promissory note?
See post #16, OC.