Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 08-11-14, 07:53

Glad you finished the book but sad you've had such a nightmare of a year which isn't over yet. I do hope you can get through it soon.
Old 08-11-14, 08:22
Administrator

So sorry to hear that you've been having such a bad time, but massive congratulations in getting the book finished! It's a huge achievement and you should be very proud

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 08-11-14, 09:29
maggie_4_7

Well done.

I look forward to reading it.
Old 08-11-14, 12:43

Thanks for your good wishes Everyone! But this book is something for ALL of you to be proud of. I could never have found Harry without your help.

Wal' xxxxx

--------------

Trailer for The Daddy of all Mysteries.

Please tidy it up before posting as the paragraphs have a mind of their own on here.

C+P to whoever & whatever other website you are a member of. I’ll need all the help I can get to promote the book.

Book Launch

The Daddy of all Mysteries: The True Story of my Parents’ Forbidden Love and a 20-year Search for a Father I Never Knew.

By Jess Welsby

Genre: Family Memoir: Local History.

A limited number of this new book will be launched before the end of November as a pilot before the book is published in Spring 2015.

This 276-page true story about a Liverpool family is available to pre-order now on eBay. Here is the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291288620768

Snippet from the book . . .

Although I went to a Catholic school, I would sag off whenever I got half a chance, especially if religion was on the agenda. It’s a subject that I’ve never had much interest in, and yet religion plays a big part in this book.
I spent much of my primary school years daydreaming my way through the weekly mundane routines of Saturday afternoon confession, followed by Sunday morning holy communion, which was monitored by my teachers
first thing on Monday. My mum and nan had great faith in God, with hardly a sentence passing their lips without the mention of His holy name, but they couldn’t have cared less about going to Mass, and left me to decide for myself.
Religion wasn’t a subject that my mum talked about, while my nan saw prayer as a private conversation with God, rather than communal. Using her caustic humour to skit what she called, the fashion parade of church-goers who
would sit jangling in the back pew before the body of Christ had barely the chance to pass through their system. Nevertheless, a set of rosary beads could be found in her pocket, accompanied by her hanky and snuffbox.
Conflicting information that made no sense to me and the lack of interest shown at home for any form of communal worship, eventually brought me to the conclusion that, if there was a God, surly it’s not necessary to go through
any third party to speak to him. If you must put me into a pigeonhole, then the closest match should bear the heading ‘humanist’, but please leave the lid of the box open.

Packed full of comical anecdotes that could only happen in Liverpool, this true story will break & warm your heart as the author takes you on a nostalgic journey in search of her mysterious roots.
The family secrets she uncovered made the hairs on the back of her neck stand on end, when, after a 20-year search, she discovered that those roots appear to have been buried deep within her subconscious all along.
With a website following that acquired close to 300,000 hits in just a few short months - this book is an amazing story of amateur teamwork & is a must-read, not only for anyone in search of their unknown mother or father,
but for everyone whether interested in family history or just a great story.
Following the lives of her small, Catholic family through the Great War, the Great Depression & the Second World War, this book pays homage to. . .

“. . . a generation who were given little support from the country that they fought for and were often forced to rely on charity in the form of the workhouse . . .”

“. . . It’s a story about bigotry, tenacity and above all, hope; and all the struggles, fears, laughter and tears of a generation now dead and gone . . .”

With help from strangers, the truth eventually unfolds from an unmarked grave in a London, Jewish cemetery, revealing the father who was nothing more than an ink blob on her birth certificate & who had been cloaked in a veil of mystery for almost sixty years . . . The DADDY of ALL MYSTERIES

Written in honour of my parents & grandparents.
Because we all have them…

Them… were our Ancestors.
Old 08-11-14, 19:49

I am so pleased you have got this far. Well done. I remember your very first post.....it was the Wallaby name. I thought you might be Aussie when I saw it.
As soon as you work out a postage to Australia, I'll be buying the book as well.
Congratulations.
Old 08-11-14, 19:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
I am so pleased you have got this far. Well done. I remember your very first post.....it was the Wallaby name. I thought you might be Aussie when I saw it.
As soon as you work out a postage to Australia, I'll be buying the book as well.
Congratulations.
Me, too.

I read many of the posts and was not able to help but was fascinated by the amount of information uncovered. It would great to read it all in one place

Di
Old 08-11-14, 22:34

Lol, I very well remember your first post because I was the first to reply and I said you didn't stand much chance of finding anything with so little information.

I've got indigestion from eating so much humble pie!

(It turned out you had a lot more information than you thought you had. This has to rank as one of the most exciting searches I've ever witnessed. I still fill up when I remember you posting the photo of your father.)

OC
Old 09-11-14, 09:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Lol, I very well remember your first post because I was the first to reply and I said you didn't stand much chance of finding anything with so little information.

(It turned out you had a lot more information than you thought you had. This has to rank as one of the most exciting searches I've ever witnessed. I still fill up when I remember you posting the photo of your father.)

OC
Oh how we all cried, OC......and that twinkle in Harry's eyes....wow.

We got there and who'd of thought back then about the brilliant outcomes.....and the book launch!!!

Getting lots of PMs.....lots of interest!
Old 09-11-14, 12:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post

OC
I well remember Wal's first post too. I think most agreed that she would be lucky to prove anything. I think we all ate humble pie as well as patting ourselves on the back for such a brilliant joint effort. I've just been telling hubby about the garden gnome. Told him that Wal wants to post a copy of the book through the garden gnome's gob!
Old 09-11-14, 13:01

It would be rough justice if someone gave the garden gnome a copy of the book and she wondered why on earth she wasn't mentioned, haha!

OC