Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 15-08-14, 09:36

Jabez Blessed married Ellen Hobson in Hull in 1840.

I can't find the Jabez family on the 1841 census, though.

They may have been in Hull where they got married or in Malton in Yorkshire - Ellen's place of birth and where two of the children were born (Harriet who was nine and Elizabeth who was eight in 1851).

Ellen's brother, Thomas, 19, was living with the family in 1851, too.
Old 15-08-14, 09:41

I enjoyed it but got a bit spooked.

One of my direct lines had regular appearances in St Pancras Old Church and St Martins in the Fields. Another line were regulars at St Mary Portsea and yet another line at St John at Brixton. Similar time frames too!

No connecion to Lincs though

Chris

'Take nothing on its looks, take everything on evidence. There is no better rule' Charles Dickens, Great Expectations.
Old 15-08-14, 10:09
Administrator

I wonder whether William and George went down to Portsmouth with the family and returned to London, or were they perhaps serving apprenticeships in London when the others moved to Portsmouth? I can imagine that they weren't in a position to look after their young brothers in 1822 as they would only have been 19 and 17 respectively themselves, but I don't get why they didn't take them in when they got married and started families of their own?
I wonder whether there is any mention of William and George in the poor law records relating to the younger siblings. Oh, and whether there is any record of the cause of death for Barnabas, Elizabeth sr, Elizabeth jr and Martha.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 15-08-14, 10:15

I thought he came across quite well. He seemed much less OTT than on panel shows
Old 15-08-14, 10:28
Administrator

Wow, the Sun Fire Office Insurance records have this entry, and note the date:

MS 11936/508/1041669 1 February 1826

Contents:
Insured: William Curven Blessed 8 Albion Buildings Bartholomew Close gent
Other property or occupiers: Lloyd

Old 15-08-14, 12:44
Administrator

Some mentions of Jabez Blessed from newspapers:

22 Jun 1855 Stamford Mercury:
BRIGG. - On Friday last, Ann Slone and Eliz Hall, remanded from the previous Tuesday, were brought up in the custody of Mr Snow - the former charged with stealing and the latter with receiving knowing them to be stolen a pair of gold ear-rings, the property of Jabez Blessed. Mrs Blessed proved that she missed the rings from her desk, and having ascertained that Slone had sold them to Hall, she accompanied superintendent Potton to Hull and met Hall in the street with the rings in her ears: Hall was at once given in custody of the police. Eliz Blessed, daughter of the prosecutor, proved the rings to be those stolen, and that the prisoner Slone had been up stairs shortly before she left the house. Slone was then asked if she had anything to say; she replied nothing; and on Eliz Hall being asked the same she stated that Slone came into her father's house and offered the rings for sale for 1s 6d, and she bought them for 6d. Hall's sister was then brought in, and on being questioned as to what she knew respecting the purchase of the rings, at once gave her testimony in a clear and distinct manner, corroborating her sister's statement. Slone candidly stated "I don't think she knew I had stolen them." The Magistrates at once dismissed the case against Hall, and Slone was committed to Kirton house of correction for trial.

13 Jul 1855 Lincolnshire Chronicle:
Ann Sloane, alias Nancy Richardson, a well-known prostitute, at Brigg, pleaded guilty to stealing a pair of ear rings, the property of Jabez Blessed, of Brigg, on the 9th of June. Four months' imprisonment.

2 Sep 1859 Stamford Mercury:
WHEREAS a Petition of JABEZ BLESSED, of Glamford Briggs, in the county of Lincoln, licensed hawker, dealer in china, hardware, and stationery, milliner, and general dealer, an Insolvent Debtor, having been filed in the County Court of Lincolnshire holden at BRIGG, in the said county, and an Interim Order for Protection from Process having been given to the said Jabez Blessed under the provisions of the Statutes in that case made and provided, the said Jabez Blessed is hereby required to appear in the said Court ...

And there are quite a few more about his bankruptcy.

Old 15-08-14, 13:30
Administrator

From London Lives:
4 Oct 1796 Barnabass Blessed son of William Blessed of Shacklewell in the County of Middlesex Gardener bound to Joseph Curtis of Warwick Lane London Carpenter & also Citizen & Carpenter of London Consideration Nil.

Old 15-08-14, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
2 Sep 1859 Stamford Mercury:
WHEREAS a Petition of JABEZ BLESSED, of Glamford Briggs, in the county of Lincoln, licensed hawker, dealer in china, hardware, and stationery, milliner, and general dealer, an Insolvent Debtor, having been filed in the County Court of Lincolnshire holden at BRIGG, in the said county, and an Interim Order for Protection from Process having been given to the said Jabez Blessed under the provisions of the Statutes in that case made and provided, the said Jabez Blessed is hereby required to appear in the said Court ...

And there are quite a few more about his bankruptcy.
Some other news reports reveal that in 1863, his estate was signed over to John Cook, wholesale hosier and haberdasher, of Hull.

In June 1864, a notice appeared in the Stamford Mercury for a private sale of 'house and shop (with plate glass front), stables, slaughter house, pigsties, etc, conveniently situated on Wrawby Street, late in the occupation of John P Sharp and now occupied by Jabez Blessed'.
Old 15-08-14, 16:00

I found this very interesting and Brian wasn't half as irritating as when he chaired Have I Got News For You, when he was completely OTT.

I was green with envy when the registers for St Mary's, Portsea were produced. Many of my ancestors appear in their pages.
Old 15-08-14, 18:19

Oh dear, is it just me? What was Ann Sloane doing upstairs in the Blessed household????

OC