Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 22-08-13, 09:06

James Pratt and family in the census records.

In 1851, there is an 11-year-old son named William. Born before the marriage.

James Pratt's wife Maria died between 1871 and 1881. He remarried and his second wife was named Sarah.

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/88...l=ReturnRecord

James Pratt, head, 31, stockinger (cotton), b Dadlington
Maria, wife, 29, wife, stockinger (cotton), b Hinkley
William, son, 11 (?), stockinger (cotton), b Hinkley
Michael, son, 3, b Hinkley
Maria, dau, 11 mo, b Hinkley

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/87...l=ReturnRecord

James Pratt, head, 41, stocking maker, b Dadlington
Maria, wife, 40, stocking maker, b Hinkley
Michael, son, 13, shoemaker, b Hinkley
Maria, dau, 11, seamer, b Hinkley
Joseph, son, 9, nurse, b Hinkley
Alice, dau, 7, seamer, b Hinkley
Sarah Ann, dau, 5, seamer, b Hinkley
Arthur, 1, b Hinkley

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/76...l=ReturnRecord

James Pratt, head, 52, cotton stocking maker, b Hinkley
Maria, wife, 50, cotton stocking maker, b Hinkley
Michael, son, 23, shoemaker, b Hinkley
Joseph, son, 18, cotton stocking maker, b Hinkey
Alice, dau, 17, cotton stocking maker, b Hinkey
Sarah Ann, dau, 14, cotton stocking maker, b Hinkey
Arthur, son, 11, scholar, b Hinkley
John, son, 8, scholar, b Hinkley

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/75...l=ReturnRecord

James Pratt, head, 65, stocking maker, b Hinkley
Sarah, wife, 50, charwoman, b Hinkley
John, son, 19, stocking trimmer, b Hinkley

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/65...l=ReturnRecord

James Pratt, head, 75, factory hand (hos), b Dadlington
Sarah, wife, 55, factory hand (hos), b Hinkley
Maria Wain, dau, 41, married, factory hand (hos), b Hinkley

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/78...l=ReturnRecord

Arthur Pratt, head, 41, hosiery trimmer, b Hinkley
Ellen, wife, 38, b Hinkley
William, son, 17, hosiery trimmer, b Hinkley
Lizzie, dau, 15, hosiery machinist,
James Pratt, 83, father, widower, retired hosiery hand, b Dadlington
Old 22-08-13, 09:34

I think I know too much about family history to be very excited about this series of "Who Do You Think You Are?" but it was a good opportunity for people to understand that nearly all of us have law-abiders and law-breakers in our families and that much of the way they lived was dictated by circumstances.

I speak as someone who just discovered a distant gt gt gt uncle, Robert, who was once fined for "malicious wounding" of a dog. I told my Mum and she said "Well, he kept a butcher's shop, didn't he? He probably kicked it for coming into the shop!" On the other side of the equation, Robert's brother Samuel was an Inspector of Police.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 22-08-13, 09:40
Administrator

Son Joseph's occupation in 1861 - "nurse". Do you think that means he was minding the baby while the rest of the family were making stockings?

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 22-08-13, 09:46

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Son Joseph's occupation in 1861 - "nurse". Do you think that means he was minding the baby while the rest of the family were making stockings?
Or it was an error. Perhaps Joseph was working and Alice was looking after the two younger children.

Looking at the census records in Hinkley, there was a lot of child labour among the stocking makers. Another interesting fact left out of the edit.
Old 22-08-13, 09:49
Administrator

From the Leicestershire Mercury, Sat 20 Nov 1852

Hinckley
BURBAGE - The framework-knitters of this village held a meeting on Tuesday evening, to take into consideration the present low rate of wages, and the necessity of soliciting the manufacturers for a small advance. James Pratt, of Hinckley, addressed the meeting at a considerable length, forcibly pointing out the various opportunities that present themselves at the present time for effecting this object, and which ought not to be neglected. At the close of the meeting the following resolution was carried - "That the employers be respectfully solicited to give back the last reduction on the wide-work, and 3d per dozen on the wrought-hose; and that in case they are unwilling to comply with this request, we cease to labour on Monday next, until the state of the market will enable them to acquiesce therein. It is hoped the manufacturers will at once comply with this reasonable request, as there can be no doubt but the present state of the markets will admit of an advance."

Edit - this may have been a different James Pratt though, as there is an older one on the censuses. Perhaps a relative?

Old 22-08-13, 09:59

What a gem of a find! I hope it's the same James Pratt.

So apart from not examining the plight of framework knitters (apart from showing us the poster), the programme makers missed a trick in not touching upon the Luddites and frame-wrecking.
Old 22-08-13, 15:17
Administrator

I've had a look on iPlayer and managed to extract most of the names from the tree that Anthony Adolph drew up. I couldn't make out most of the dates so I haven't put those in, but it explains where the Pratts and the Billinghams fit in, and gives you the names of all those ancestors who weren't mentioned!

Gary's great-grandparents (Harold's parents) were George Albert Lineker and Emily Holmes, the daughter of George Holmes and Harriet Caulton. George's parents were William Henry Lineker jr and Lavinia Hatfield, the daughter of James Hatfield and Caroline Morris. James Hatfield was the son of Robert Hatfield and Margaret. Caroline Morris was the daughter of Joseph Morris. William Henry Lineker jr was the son of William Henry Lineker sr and Charlotte Taylor, the daughter of George Taylor and Elizabeth. William Henry Lineker sr was the son of Samuel Lineker.

Another set of great-grandparents, the parents of Gary's grandmother Alice Kate Hoare, were Frederick Charles Hoare and Sarah Elizabeth Thorne. Frederick Charles Hoare was the son of John Francis Hoare and Kate Rose Billingham. John Francis Hoare was the son of John Hoare and Mary. Kate Rose Billingham was the daughter of James Thomas Billingham and Catherine Rose. James Thomas Billingham was the son of Thomas Billingham and Sarah Vuller.

Sarah Elizabeth Thorne was the daughter of John Thorne and Alice Pratt. John Thorne was the son of John Thorne and Elizabeth Newcombe, the daughter of Thomas Newcomb. John Thorne was the son of John Thorn. Alice Pratt was the daughter of James Pratt and Maria Leeson. James Pratt was the son of Joseph Pratt and Elizabeth. Maria Leeson was the daughter of William Leeson and Elizabeth.

Old 22-08-13, 15:52

Which is the more annoying in WDYTYA subjects do you think - tears or levity? I wanted to throw something at Gary Lineker every time he made an inane comment and grinned but, in the event, I think my annoyance with him was the only thing keeping me awake through this boring episode. They seemed to make an awful lot of nothing very much and I was really struggling to keep my eyes open towards the end. The only thing of any real interest to me was the fact that Lineker seems to have been a Nottingham name, judging by the brief glimpse I got of details on Anthony Adolphe's tree. My OH came from a long line of Nottingham framework knitters so I would have enjoyed the programme more if they had followed the Lineker line.
Old 22-08-13, 16:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
The only thing of any real interest to me was the fact that Lineker seems to have been a Nottingham name, judging by the brief glimpse I got of details on Anthony Adolphe's tree. My OH came from a long line of Nottingham framework knitters so I would have enjoyed the programme more if they had followed the Lineker line.
They said that Samuel Lineker was a cordwainer, so I think this is his family in 1841:
Sheep Lane, St Mary, Nottingham
Samuel Lineker 70 Shoem Y
Betsey Do 55(?) Y
Ann Do 20 Y
Susan Do 15 Y
William Do 14 Y
Sarah Do 12 Y.

1841 census on ancestry

Old 22-08-13, 21:35

My ears had pricked up when I heard he had Pratt in his ancestry. My sister's OH is a Pratt (no comment!) and besotted with footers... so I'd texted her for them to watch it - neither is remotely interested in Family Research.

She texted back tonight to say they had watched it - and b-i-l is a descendant and recognised the story of the James Pratt family that he'd learned some years ago. So of course he's over the moon that he's remotely related to Gary Lineker - one of his heros

If it's OK with you Shona - I'll pass your Pratt tree to them

I was actually aggravated by his giggling, almost flippant attitude at times - on the other hand he came across as a very nice, down to earth chap.... but oh! that sketch of James Pratt Boris Karloff had nothing on him!

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow