Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 10-10-12, 17:18

Thanks Elizabeth, not the same school as me.

Sue
Old 10-10-12, 21:02

Me and OH dozed off during that.

Too far back. Very few of us can relate to the 16th and 17th centuries.
Old 10-10-12, 21:03

I must admit I dozed off too. It was interesting historically and politically, but I was too tired to take it all in!
Old 10-10-12, 21:06
Administrator

Episode Summary

Celia Imrie lives in London with her 18-year-old son Angus. She was born in Surrey in 1952. Her father David was a doctor with working-class Glasgow roots, and her mother Diana came from an aristocratic background.

Celia went to visit her cousin Patricia who showed her a photograph of a house called The Croft where their grandparents used to live. Patricia said that Celia's mother Diana was 34 when she married David and had previously been engaged three times.

Celia's grandparents were Charles George Lumley Cator and Adeline Louisa Blois and Patricia gave her a family tree passed on to her by a relative which goes back many generations.

Celia visited the Parliamentary Archives to find out about her 8x-g-grandfather William Lord Russell, born in 1639, the third son of the Earl of Bedford. William was a Whig MP during the reign of Charles II. His wife was Lady Rachel, daughter of the Earl of Southampton. Celia was shown a speech by Lord Russell and a publication claiming that he took part in a conspiracy to kill the king. He was put on trial in 1683 and found guilty of High Treason. He was sentenced to be hanged, drawn and quartered, but the sentence was commuted to beheading. He made a speech to the crowd proclaiming his innocence, just before he was beheaded. A plaque marks where this took place.

Celia visited Woburn Abbey, the Russell family seat, and was shown a painting of the trial and a pardon issued by King William of Orange after he came to the throne a few years after Lord Russell's trial.

Celia then found out about her 10xg-grandmother (grandmother of William Lord Russell), Frances Howard. Frances was born in 1593, the daughter of the Earl of Suffolk. When she was 13 her family arranged for her marriage to Robert Devereux, the Earl of Essex, who was 14.

In about 1611, Frances wrote a letter to a friend complaining about abuse from her husband, and another letter to a lady called Mrs Anne Turner, which could be interpreted as asking her to kill Frances' husband. There were rumours about Frances' relationship with a man called Robert Carr.

Celia went to Lambeth Palace, where she was shown records of Frances' application to have her marriage annulled on the grounds of non-consummation. A man called Thomas Overbury was opposed to this as he did not want Robert Carr to marry Frances. Thomas Overbury was offered an ambassadorship which he turned down, and for this he was sent to the Tower of London, where he died. Ten days after his death, Frances' annulment was granted, and three months later, she married Robert Carr, the Earl of Somerset.

Two years later, in 1615, Mrs Turner, Frances, and Robert were arrested for conspiring to murder Thomas Overbury. Robert Carr was held in the Tower of London but Frances was put under house arrest until after the birth of her baby (Celia's 9xg-grandmother.) She pleaded guilty but maintained her husband's innocence. Both were convicted and sentenced to death. Frances was soon pardoned due to her confession, her penitence, and her family's good works, and Robert was pardoned seven years later. They were released from the Tower of London in 1622 and Frances died in 1632.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 10-10-12, 21:16

Nope, not interesting as a genealogical programme. This was national history and I already knew all about this, thanks to Jean Plaidy and others,lol.

Disappointing, IMO.

OC
Old 10-10-12, 21:22

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
Episode Summary

Celia Imrie lives in London with her 18-year-old son Angus. She was born in Surrey in 1952. Her father David was a doctor with working-class Glasgow roots, and her mother Diana came from an aristocratic background.

To be continued...
Oh dear. I don't envy your task of writing the resumme of this episode - aka, English history of the 17th century.
Old 10-10-12, 21:28
Administrator

I was expecting to have to take loads of notes! I thought they would be going back generation by generation, not just going back 10 generations on the strength of that tree (though I'm sure it was thoroughly checked out.)

I have Cators in my tree, so I would like to know whether Celia's grandfather is related to them!

Old 10-10-12, 21:30

I think it was possibly one of the worst. Very boring. I think the BBC have run out of ideas. Possibly the only person to find it interesting was Celia Imrie.
Old 10-10-12, 21:32
Administrator

There is a birth for Charles George L Cator in 1872 Bromley, Kent, so I think this is him in 1881 (sorry if this is of no interest to anyone else!)

Charles G Cator in 1881

Old 10-10-12, 21:32

I can't help feeling it was rather a waste of a popular programme on ''Family History'' research which we and others - perhaps look to to get inspiration and help. The Howards/aka Norfolks' history is pretty well documented and I'm sure could have been researched by her or her family. Her Cousin(?) seemed to know more about the illustrious heritage - so between them they too must have resources to have done this research.

That's not to say it wasn't very interesting, but as a History programme.

Researching Gillett in Preston/Sheffield and Campbell and Wilkie and Hepburn in and around Glasgow