Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 13-10-12, 09:58

Quote:
Originally Posted by marquette View Post
Hi Toni,
A dilemma for sure, but great-granny would probably have had some idea, better than others who did not live with 2gg grandfather.

Have you looked at it from the other direction - have you tried to prove that whose birth certificate it is ? I mean, have you tried to eliminate every other possible man of the same name and age ?

Have you checked up on the person who died in NZ - they have plenty of on-lline resources including BDMs and online newspapers. And if he went to India, FIBIS has an online database of baptisms, marriages, deaths and newspaper reports. All quite useful and free.

Di
Hi Di,
I did check out the NZ man because I wondered if it was the same man and he somehow played up. Given the DOB's of all the children I don't think it would be possible to be the same man. My man did go to Melbourne at one stage though which I found interesting.

I have lots of info on my man and his time in Indian. He was in the merchant navy before going to India. I'm not sure exactly when he left England but I have some original discharge certs which is interesting. I've found a heap of stuff on his kids etc in India and am desperately waiting on FMP to release the India Office Records.

There is no record of where the NZ man came from or when he arrived in NZ.The parents on his marriage cert are not the same as those on the baptism and birth records the family claim is his. Those records do match my 2g grandfather though. The NZ man died and left young children. His wife remarried and left NZ. Not sure if the kids went with her but descendants remain in NZ.

I'm confident I have the right man but not being able to 100% prove it from my end or to disprove the other man is frustrating.
Old 13-10-12, 10:14
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
but each time, it is as if I am a new contact!

OC
I find it very hard to imagine anyone could forget you, OC

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010