Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 01-10-12, 06:19
Administrator

Default Family History Photos - Holidays

October 2012

Each month we will be asking members to post up family history photographs from a particular catagory. Now that the summer weather seems to have vanished for those of us in the UK, I thought this might be a good time to look back at sunnier times, so this month our photo catagory is 'holidays'! Do you have any holiday photos from the past?

Photos posted on this thread will eventually be added to our 'Decades of Family History Photographs' forum in order to help others with dating old photographs. (You are welcome to post any photos you like directly to the Decades forum at any time; these monthy requests are just further encouragement!)

Please note that this thread is on an open forum so any captions to your photos may be picked up by Google searches. If you are lucky you may make a family history contact through your post! I made my best family history contact ever through a photograph caption posted on this site!

There is no restriction to the number of photographs you post each month - the more the merrier! However, please make separate posts if your photos are from different decades. Remember to caption your photograph and if you know the date or approximate date, please state that also. If you are unsure, then that is something we can discuss on the thread.

You will need to use photobucket or a similar site to host your pictures. If possible please scan your photos at between 300 and 600dpi - if you need help with uploading your images see here:

How to upload images

Please make sure you have the permission of any named living people in your photos to post their image.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-10-12, 09:30
Administrator

This is my grandfather, Walter Henry Clark, on the prom some time in the early '30s, in his pj's, dressingown and slippers!

This is the same year and place. My mum at the front, then my grandmother, Winifred May Harriet Clark, nee Maynard and trailing behind, my aunt, Betty Pauline Clark:

Same holiday and it was warm enough to go in the sea (my mum, left, aunt, middle, gran, right)!

If anyone thinks any or all these photos were actually taken at Eastbourne rather than on the Isle of Wight I would be very interested to know. If anyone can confirm they are Vetnor that would be good too! lol

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 01-10-12, 09:43
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
If anyone thinks any or all these photos were actually taken at Eastbourne rather than on the Isle of Wight I would be very interested to know. If anyone can confirm they are Vetnor that would be good too! lol
Have a look at the third photo on this site and see what you think:

http://www.isleofwightholidays4all.c...hill-cove.html

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 01-10-12, 10:27

Looks like Ventnor.
Old 01-10-12, 11:49
Administrator

Thanks very much, you two.

That means I can date the photos 100% to 1931 as in Dec 1930 my grandparents and mum and auntie moved back to the UK from Cyprus where they had lived for the previous three or four years - On their first UK 'holiday' (working holiday for granddad) mum ran straight in to the sea at Ventnor, not realising it wouldn't be as warm as in the Med! lol

Eastbourne was a couple of years later!

Old 01-10-12, 19:25

This is my grandma Margaret Smith (nee Appleyard) on holiday on the Norfolk Broads, possibly 40s/50s
Old 02-10-12, 02:36

Here's one of my grandfather Walter Berry (left, b1875) with three other young men of about the same age, all from Sutton-in-Craven near Keighley (WRY), apparently enjoying a day in Morecambe. Or perhaps the photographer came through Sutton. The handwritten inscription reads "Walter, Herbert T., Joe H. Craven, H. Cryer. Working from the 1891 census, I believe I've identified Herbert Thompson, Joe H. Craven and Herbert Cryer. Herbert T. was a draper's assistant and the others were all working in the worsted mill and living a stone's throw from each other. My grandfather was married in 1900, so I dare say this photo predates 26 April 1900.

Janet (Niagara)
Old 02-10-12, 06:22
Administrator

I hope they were in Morcambe and had a lovely day!

Lynn, your grandma looks like she's enjoying the rest!

Old 02-10-12, 10:09
Administrator

Please excuse the state of this photo, but originally only three people had complete faces! lol Luckily the important one for me was still in tact. Far left is my great grandfather, Edwin Maynard, in the early 1870s on a beach somewhere in the UK (I presume!). I don't know who any of the other people are, but I don't think any of them are his siblings, so probably friends. I don't know where the picture was taken, but the nearest beach to his home would have been Clacton-on-Sea, Essex.

Old 02-10-12, 15:36

These are of me aged 2. Taken in Rhyl in 1955.