Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 05-09-12, 23:02

Doubly annoying Kate because Scottish marriage certs have both mother and father's names on, as you know.

Incidentally, how did they know which cottage at Tomintoul was hers?

OC
Old 05-09-12, 23:03
Administrator

I don't know whether the iPlayer shows less of the picture than the TV, but all I can see on the screenshot is "Carcinoma Uter". So it must be Uterine, not Ulcerous!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 05-09-12, 23:25
Administrator

I see that on the 1881 census, the Hendersons have a James Cruickshank boarding with them! (Links to ancestry's transcriptions of the census entries in my synopsis post #6 of this thread.)

Old 05-09-12, 23:33
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olde Crone View Post
Doubly annoying Kate because Scottish marriage certs have both mother and father's names on, as you know.

Incidentally, how did they know which cottage at Tomintoul was hers?

OC
Judging by ancestry's transcriptions of the census entries, it gives an exact address (along the lines of 5 Corriemulzie).

Old 06-09-12, 07:38
maggie_4_7

I haven't watched it yet shall do today, I'm really interested because of my Scottish family and I've done a lot of research in Scotland and in Scottish records over the last 3-4 years.
Old 06-09-12, 08:24
Administrator

Possible for Mrs Cruickshank on the 1861 census:
ancestry transcription of 1861 census entry

Old 06-09-12, 08:42
maggie_4_7

This is Isabelle with her daughter Jane Ann.

http://search.ancestry.co.uk/cgi-bin...230514&recoff=

Which is the address Jane was born at.
Old 06-09-12, 09:12

Me, too.

When I started researching my Scottish family, I was surprised by the number of illegitimate ('natural') births compared to legitimate ('lawful'). Natural births appeared to be the norm. I discovered that in some parts of Scotland (south west and north east, where Annie's family lived), illegitimate birth was very common. It may be that the tradition of 'irregular' marriage was deeply rooted in these areas - people were deemed married if they declared it before two witnesses. Many years ago, one of my Scottish grannies told me that when her granny was young, your declaration of marriage wasn't accepted until you had sex and proof that the relationship had been consummated was a baby.

The Kirk hated all this. Reading through Kirk Session records, some are obsessed by sex - they wanted all the details. It didn't have much effect on my family and their neighbours, though! All those young male farm labourers housed together in bothies next to bothies housing all the young female farm labourers was asking for trouble.

On a general point, Scottish records contain much more information than English records. I've got records in which, in the case of remarriage, give details of the number of children from previous relationships. I was also helped in my research thanks to my mother having five middle names - all surnames from previous generations.

They packed a lot into the episode.
Old 06-09-12, 09:19
Administrator

I thought it showed up the problems with Scotland's People's census search quite nicely, how you can't put the birthplace in as a search field but have to know where the person you are looking for was living at the time.

Old 06-09-12, 09:42

I was a bit worried by the assumption that Mrs Cruikshank had gritted her teeth and come forward to do her Christian duty by her brother's illegitimate grandchild.

In England, under the old poor law rules, the parish authorities would always seek out near relatives, and then distant relatives, and more or less force them to take on a burden to the parish. I'm sure it would have been the same in Scotland particularly where the father was of ample means or had a standing in the community.

So I think Jessie may have been forced on Mrs Cruikshank and that might explain the horrible wording in the day books. Once Jessie was of an age to work in a factory, she was sent away from Mrs Cruikshank's house.

OC