Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Members' Direct Ancestors > Take One 3xGreat-Grandparent

Old 11-07-21, 15:36
Administrator

Rachel Stevens/Stephens b about 1797 in Hinton, Gloucestershire according to 1851/61 census. Pity I can't see a baptism!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-07-21, 15:38
Administrator

Couldn't see for looking!

Rachel Stevens Baptism 8 Jan 1797 Dyrham & Hinton, Gloucestershire Walter, Ann

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 11-07-21, 15:46
Administrator

Oooh, sibling (amongst others):

Ann Stevens Baptism 30 Sep 1798 Dyrham & Hinton, Gloucestershire Walter, Ann

How to prove anything? I need Walter to have lived to after 1826 and then t have left a will!

Old 11-07-21, 15:49
Administrator

He's not been helpful if this is him!

Walter Stephens abt 1761 29 Mar 1816 Dyrham and Hinton

Old 11-07-21, 15:57
Administrator

That is him as Find A Grave have a photo of the gravestone which has him 1816, wife Ann 1821 and a dau Martha 1805.

Martha was bap 1795.

Still wondering about proof as otherwise with such common names it could all be a coincidence.

Old 11-07-21, 16:09
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
Trying to eliminate marriages/burials for John Saunders and his wife Ann.

To save reading back, I believe these are their children:

George Augustus Saunders born Aug 1827 bap Sept 1827 St Philip and Jacob, Bristol, father Coal Merchant

Mary Ann Saunders bap Feb 1829 ditto, father Brewer

Elizabeth Saunders bap Dec 1830 St Augustine the Less, Bristol, father Servant

All other children with parents John and Ann Saunders/Sanders born around the same time and area have been eliminated.

When son George married in 1851 he said Sugar Refiner for his father, so plenty of different occupations, none of whch help!!

There's this marriage:

John Saunders to Ann Stevens (spinster, signed Stephens), St Thomas Bristol 18 Jun 1826. John (bachelor) is a corn factor. They both signed and the witnesses are James Jones and Elizabeth (Something)field.

Can anyone read that witness name?

There are Saunders/Stephens/Stevens births after 1837 but they belong to John Saunders and Mary Stevens who married in 1831.

I keep also looking at these burials:

Ann Saunders b abt 1798 18 Sep 1831 Dyrham, St Peter - abode Wick

John Saunders b abt 1798 7 Apr 1833 Dyrham, St Peter - abode Bristol

Obviously they may be nothing to do with each other and/or, nothing to do with me.

Wick is probably Wick and Abson which is within a mile ot two of Dyrham and also very close to a place called Doynton where dau Mary Ann married in 1850. She then lived in both Doynton and Wick and Abson.

In 1841 the two daughters were living in the house of a school teacher in Mangotsfield and the son was in the army, so not really much help.

Any ideas?!
The witness's name is Elizabeth Cranfield.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-07-21, 16:13
Administrator

Thanks Kite, I'll see if I can find anything about her later.

Walter Stephens left a PCC will. If only he had lived another ten+ years lol. Just going to read it now.

Old 11-07-21, 16:17
Administrator

Walter's will just tells me his daughter Ann is still living, which is a start!

Old 11-07-21, 16:51
Administrator

Hmm... Ann Stephens sig on her marriage in 1826 is similar to the witness at the marriage of her sister Mary to John Anstey in Dyrham in 1823. The witness Ann can't be their mother as she had died in 1821.

I don't think 'similar' helps much.

Nothing found for Elizabeth Cranfield at the moment.

Old 04-11-21, 14:09
Administrator

To save reading back....!

I've been trying to establish the parentage of my 2xg-grandmother Elizabeth Saunders b 1830 since at least 2008. All I really had was that her parents were John and Ann Saunders from somewhere around the Bristol area and that she very likely had two siblings, George and Mary Ann. There is a moderate chance John and Ann were both dead by 1841. I've spent a lot of time trying to eliminate various people, so decided to tackle the problem by picking the most likely couple and extending their trees to see if anything jumps out to help me.

Walter Stephens (Stevens) b abt 1761 married Ann Anstee (Anst(e)y etc) b abt 1761 in 1794 at Dyrham and Hinton, Gloucestershire. They had three surviving children one of whom was Ann Stephens, b 1798. Some of the past stuff on this thread attempts to address the question of whether this Ann Stephens is the same person who married John Saunders in Bristol in 1826 and whether this is also the couple who are parents to my Elizabeth Saunders.

Looking at this again yesterday, I realised last time round (post #95 above) I had missed a big clue! Find A Grave has photos of the graves of Walter and Ann Stephens and if I had bothered to read the whole of the inscription for Walter's stone I would have seen the part that says, "Also to the Memory of Ann Wife of John Saunders and Daughter of the said Walter and Ann Stephens who departed his life September 14th 1831 aged 33 years".

So, now I can be sure the dau of Walter and Ann Stephens did marry a John Saunders. It's very likely her husband is the John Saunders buried at Dyrham and Hinton in 1733 aged 35, despite apparently dying in Bristol (PR entry).

I haven't yet proved John and Ann are the people who married in 1826 or that the three children, including my Elizabeth, are the children of this couple and not another random John and Ann Sa(u)nders. The closest I've got is that my Elizabeth Saunders' sister, Mary Ann, married Walter Sparrow who happened to be a nephew of Ann Stephens/Saunders. So if Ann is my ancestor that's a first cousin marriage rather than just a random one.

Now I've just seen that Ann Anstee b 1761 had a sister named Martha Anstee b 1751. Martha didn't marry and had a long life, being bur at Dyrham and Hinton in 1833. She also wrote a will! I'm hoping the beneficiaries of her will will include the descendants of her siblings. She had outlived her niece, Ann Stephens/Saunders by two years. I don't know who was caring for Ann's children after her death, but I'm wondering if there's any chance of them getting any sort of mention in Martha's will? Only one way to find out!!

Tags
to3g3