Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-03-21, 19:53

Default Multiple source questions

Hey all...

I have a few questions to better understand how those of you who are meticulous about sourcing handle some common scenarios.

First, understand that yes, I know that original source material is always preferable -- and when you find it, often you can use it as your primary source. I understand the whole concept of evidence reliability and the basic principles of evidence.

In a lot my research, however, I am relying on secondary sources -- things like vital records indexes, 19th century compiled genealogies, and regional history texts.

Often a family from ages ago can appear in multiple books -- sometimes with identical information, sometimes without. I suspect that often later works used or relied on earlier works, but they are not often cited, so its hard to know.

Anyway, I have two goals:
1. Fully document the source of all information in my file, even if such source is questionable.
2. Keep track of the resources I've used and information I've already reviewed so that I don't duplicate my efforts.

With these goals in mind, I first started to use source codes in the notes field of my genealogy program, but I've started to go back to convert them to proper and complete sources. In doing so, I've come across the following conundrums:

1. Most genealogy programs do not allow a separate source for date and location (for example birthdate and birthplace). However, sometimes the date is sourced from one source, and the place from another. When this is the case, how do you make it clear in your citation that only part of the information was gathered from that source?

2. Sources can certainly disagree with each other. When that happens, if I have sufficient corroborating evidence to know which source is correct, I will cite only that source, but note the other source in my research notes to keep a record that a) data about the person was found in the source, and b) for x reason, it was determined to be erroneous.

But sometimes, you're not sure. When two sources disagree and you're not yet sure which is correct, how do you handle it such that you still keep a record of the sources you've reviewed?

3. Lastly, the older the ancestor, the more likely their information will appear in multiple sources -- often with identical information. The goal of sourcing is to support the data, not be an index of everywhere the data can be found. If it is clear that a source used another source, I'll either a) append the citation with a "citing..." reference, or b) not cite the source (but note it in my research notes).

How do handle multiple sources when it is not clear that they borrowed from each other? Do you cite them all? Only cite one (and if so, which one -- the oldest?). Do you record them all in notes? Ignore some of them (and if you do this, how do you keep track so you don't revisit that source)?

I hope my questions are clear. I know its a long post, but I appreciate your responses. Although I am a U.S.-based researcher doing a lot of early New England work, this board is pretty much the only genealogy board that is active.

Thanks in advance!

Scott