Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 22-08-14, 19:10

Tom

Penny licks were still on the go well into the 20th century - my mum used to talk about them in her childhood in the 1920s in Scotland. Euuuwww!

Adelmo went back in 1916 when he was called up. It would have been traditional for him to go back to Italy to marry Maria, but maybe not!

OC
Old 22-08-14, 19:16

The penny lick was the Bake off. I don't think they would have had facilities to wash them between customers if they were street vendors. I got the impression she knew most of it already or could have asked her relatives if she was interested but I expect the celebrity is told to pretend to be suprised.

I remember Alexander Armstrong being handed a copy of Burke's peerage by his mother that had the family back to William the conqueror. I would have preferred a bit more about the rest of the family. I think it put me off the Isle of Man as a holiday destination. I was puzzled by the statement that the young men traveled to Scotland to make ice cream after the harvest. I would have thought icecream makers would be needed in the summer.
Old 22-08-14, 20:00

Perhaps it said they were banned for street sellers but were still allowed in shops then?

OC, that is what I assumed happened with Maria, but they didn't actually say that had happened. They said he had been called up, but didn't say he had actually returned. He then obviously spent some time back in Italy between the end of the war (whenever he was demobbed) and coming back to England. Enough time to get married and have the eldest son. What was he doing during that time?
Old 22-08-14, 20:03

Tom

I suspect - but don't know cos they didn't say - that Adelmo went backwards and forwards between Italy and Glasgow during that time, as many of them did, until they were no longer needed to help with the harvest etc (family all dead).

OC
Old 22-08-14, 21:03

I didn't see the programme but it is a pity they don't seem to have researched her Italian ancestors; Italian birth registers contain loads of information.
Old 22-08-14, 21:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
I didn't see the programme but it is a pity they don't seem to have researched her Italian ancestors; Italian birth registers contain loads of information.
Mary, I think we did see a fleeting glance of an "atto di nascita" whilst Tamzin was at Barga.

This episode was interesting, but I found the beginning very slow as it seemed to be explaining at great length things I thought she would have already have known. I felt they could have done a lot more in the time.

Mary, I was very frustrated they didn't delve more into the Italian family's roots in Barga.