Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 29-08-13, 12:29

Default More interesting for me......

....than WDYTYA was last night's episode of Restoration Home because it briefly featured the church where my great grandparents married in May 1882. That was a real surprise! It is St Barnabas, Pimlico, London and it was built in 1850 to fit in with the ideals of the Oxford Movement which wanted to get the Anglican church back to a more Roman Catholic way of services and style of building. As a result St Barnabas is very ornate and rather beautiful, as you can see on their website:

http://www.stbarnabaspimlico.org.uk/St_Bs/Welcome.html

It has always has puzzled me since I got my great grandparents' marriage certificate as to why were they married in an Anglican church when my gt. grandfather was an Irish Catholic and I know that my gt grandmother converted. All their children were brought up in the Catholic church with only my grandmother leaving in order to marry my grandfather. As a result all their other descendants are still Catholic whilst my family is C. of E. I know my gt grandmother converted to Catholicism because when she remarried after being widowed, it was in a Catholic church. I can only assume that her full conversion happened after her first marriage and that the type of service offered by St Barnabas, Pimlico suited both of them at the time.
Old 29-08-13, 16:22
Administrator

They had Belfast City Hall on WDYTYA, which is where my great-grandmother married her second husband. I don't suppose it took place in the same room that they showed, though!

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update