Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 13-10-12, 22:51
Administrator

Quote:
NEWEY'S hooks and eyes never RUST
I have some 'antique' hooks and eyes made by the De Long Hook and Eye Co and they say "Rust? Never!!" on the card. S....maybe you are related to them instead!!!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 14-10-12, 09:21

My parents are quite accepting of whatever I find.

Mum was more than happy that her first maternal ancestor to arrive in Australia was not called John but rather was George and George was a convict. Aunt M, however, was the one who said George was called John. Mum thinks M must have known George was a convict but was embarrassed by it.

Dad's side is supposed to have a baronet somewhere on the direct paternal line that went bankrupt and another line came from Scotland and there was a pharmacist.

I haven't gotten the paternal line back far enough but I think there is a baronet in Scotland there on a female line. However in Scotland at the time you could buy a baronet. The bankruptcy was 2 generations later and while I wouldn't say bankrupt she didn't have much money and changed her will to reflect the loss of property.

The pharmacist from Scotland was actually a travelling chemist from Yorkshire who went to Scotland.

OC I heard recently that the medical profession has decided it is possible to die of a broken heart. It is also possible however to recover from the condition. It was quite interesting.
Old 14-10-12, 09:41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I have some 'antique' hooks and eyes made by the De Long Hook and Eye Co and they say "Rust? Never!!" on the card. S....maybe you are related to them instead!!!
No Merry.

Family legend has it that the slogan came about because of the marriage of Newey and Rust.

Absolute poppycock, he was a butler and then a railway worker and she was a servant before marriage.

Nothing to do with hooks and eyes and anything else in that line. His father was a tailor that's the closest it comes to it. My Newey line has no connection whatsoever to the hook and eye firm. Newey is a very common name in the Birmingham area.
Old 14-10-12, 09:47

Kit

I don't think "broken heart" is yet on the list of official causes of death in the UK though.

OC
Old 16-10-12, 12:42

I'm not sure it is official here either OC. But they had a diagram showing what happens to a heart during a heart attack and what happens to a "broken" heart. It was quite fascinating and the damage was real and can be fatal.
Old 16-10-12, 20:01

Kit

I read a bit about this in today's paper and I interpreted it to mean that the newspapers wanted to be able to say people die of a broken heart!

What I read was that extreme shock - pleasant or otherwise - can cause a heart attack and that the sudden death of a loved one is an extreme shock. Prolonged distraught grieving can also stress the heart and cause a heart attack.

(The article said you can also recover from a broken heart - as you can recover from a heart attack!)

OC
Old 17-10-12, 03:06

I can't remember the diagrams exactly but say in a heart attack the heart swells and is more like a ball shape. With a broken heart it elongates.

I believe extreme shock can do a lot. I thought I won $5000 on a scratch lottery ticket once and I almost had a full on panic attack. Paul's uncle won lotto and was so stunned he sat all night sitting on the lounge trying to take it in.