Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 16-09-12, 09:07

I forgot about this on Weds and only got round to watching it yesterday afternoon on Iplayer... I do like the way these episodes are focusing on one or two relatives now and not going back generations. It shows that you can build up quite a detailed picture from various available resources (service records, war diaries, published memoirs etc) to get an insight into our ancestor's wartime experiences

It would be lovely, however, to have a trip to the WW1 battlefields with an expert on hand to give you a detailed description of battles etc, with all the necessary maps, documents and books... but sadly I can't see that happening for me!!
Old 16-09-12, 09:15

I like Hugh Dennis but this programme didn't tell me anything new - WW1 was horrible and its effects stayed with people for a lifetime.

I did perk up when they mentioned Poperinghe as my maternal grandfather was near there in WW1, with the Royal Engineers. He had a miserable war although he was lucky not to be physically injured. My paternal grandfather was too old to be actively engaged, though he was in a training camp at Chilham, Kent, with the Royal Artillery when my Dad was born in 1917.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire