Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History Stories

Old 10-06-20, 16:37

Default Anniversaries

This thread is to post on the anniversaries of important events associated with people in your family tree. Could be births, deaths, or marriages, but also could be emigrations, apprenticeships, imprisonment etc.

(But please, as ever, don't post details of living people without their permission.)
Old 10-06-20, 17:32

10 June 1966. Death of Mabel, my grandmother, in Portsmouth. There was a terrific thunderstorm that night, which sib, Mum and I enjoyed. I remember the ignoble wish that her death would not ruin my forthcoming birthday It didn't
Old 10-06-20, 19:41

10 June 1920 - Birth of my mother, Hannah Matilda Wheeler in Bethnal Green, London.
Old 12-06-20, 11:37
Administrator

I missed yesterday!

11 Jun 1772, the marriage of my 4xg-grandparents, George Cox and Dorothy Crane at Child Okeford, Dorset.

About 35 years ago a cousin of mine died and left me a personal possession to be chosen from a list. I chose a mourning ring, in part because I'd never seen one before and also because I guessed it wouldn't have been his, but perhaps belonged to his mother. It turned out to date from the 1790s and belonged to Dorothy Crane, commemorating the deaths of two of her sons, includng her first-born who had died in South Africa aged 23.

So, that was a surprise, though at the time I didn't know who Dorothy was. About ten years later my home was burgled and amongst other things my jewellery was stolen, but this ring wasn't in the jewellery box, so I still have it.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 12-06-20, 16:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merry View Post
I missed yesterday!

11 Jun 1772, the marriage of my 4xg-grandparents, George Cox and Dorothy Crane at Child Okeford, Dorset.

About 35 years ago a cousin of mine died and left me a personal possession to be chosen from a list. I chose a mourning ring, in part because I'd never seen one before and also because I guessed it wouldn't have been his, but perhaps belonged to his mother. It turned out to date from the 1790s and belonged to Dorothy Crane, commemorating the deaths of two of her sons, includng her first-born who had died in South Africa aged 23.

So, that was a surprise, though at the time I didn't know who Dorothy was. About ten years later my home was burgled and amongst other things my jewellery was stolen, but this ring wasn't in the jewellery box, so I still have it.
Thats lucky, Merry. Obviously meant to be.
Old 13-06-20, 09:57

Fond memories of Margaret Elizabeth Lindsell, nee Burton, daughter of Francis Goodwill Burton and Margaret Elizabeth Camsey. Born 13 June 1893 in Hartlepool. Married Stanley Edward Lindsell at Mint Street Baptist Church Lincoln and lived many years in Crayford Road, Crayford.

A family friend, rather than a relation, who I always enjoyed visiting.
Old 18-06-20, 09:08
Administrator

I keep forgetting this thread!

Yesterday, 17 June, was the anniversary of the death of my 2xg-grandmother Mary Buck, nee Smith. She was a big influence over her grandson (my grandfather). Had she not been, his life would have probably taken a different course and I wouldn't be here now.

Mary was a strict Quaker and was very well known in the village where she lived in Oxfordshire, in part because she always wore Victorian styled black dresses and a black silk poke bonnet right through to her death in 1914 at the age of 87.

Having strict religious views didn't stop her being a bit of a feminist though! She was all for women having as much right to do anything as a man, encouraging her daughters to use the good education they received to become teachers at least until they married. Also, when Mary bought a property in her home village to rent out she thought nothing of fully inspecting all the work done on it by climbing the workmen's ladders and walkign around the scaffolding - I should think this was no mean feet given her clothing and the fact that she was at least in her 70s at the time. Of course her neighbours thought of her as eccentric, but her fame lasted long enough that when I first visited the village on a FH jaunt about 20 years ago two random people I spoke to in the village knew who she was even 80 years after her death!

Here she is in about 1855:

and here is one of her later bonnets which I still have:

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-06-20, 05:40

Nice photo, and a nice remembrance of her, Merry. You've kept that bonnet quite pristine!

Janet (Niagara)
Old 19-06-20, 08:39
Administrator

I'm afraid it looks better in the photo than in real life! It is stored in it's own wicker basket, which was still perfect when I was a child, but the fastening is a bit broken now.

There used to be a fine lawn cap to wear over the hair but that has almost disintigrated now. Also two pairs of black slip on indoor shoes, one pair in leather and the other with a silk fabric finish. As a child they reminded me of the last sighting of the Wicked Witch of the East when her toes curl up in the film after she has been killed by Dorothy's house, as the shoes have been stored in the wicker basket inside the hat for decades and they now won't uncurl!

Old 27-06-20, 09:37

My darling mother was born 101 years ago today. Words are inadequate to say how much she gave us all.