Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-08-19, 13:26

Default DNA may not lie

but it doesn't necessarily help with the truth.

I have a Thruline suggestion for my 5g grandfather. Twice now, because I forgot I'd done it years ago, I have disproved that he is my 5g grandfather but I can't prove who IS the father of my 4g grandmother.

However a new match has thrown up a curve ball. The match is a direct descendant, down a male line, of the 5g grandfather. She does not have my 4g grandmother in her tree.

If anyone wants to check my work and tell me if they think I am right, or wrong, please do.

David Simpson (my 3g grandfather) was baptised 1/3/1815 St Peter, Bradford, Yorkshire, father Richard Simpson, cordwainer. Not that it matters but he married Sarah Eastwood 24/9/1843 Keele, Staffordshire.

I believe my Richard married Susannah Wilkinson on 3/9/1810 at St Peter Bradford. Susannah was a spinster.

They had 2 other children John bap 3/7/1811 and Mary 11/12/1812.

I believe my Richard died 1833 in Bradford, I am unsure about Susannah.

Thrulines says Susannah's father is William Speight. There is a Richard Simpson who married a Susananh Speight in 1812 at Campsall York, according to familysearch. This couple, according to FMP, had children Elizabeth 1816, John 1819, Sarah 1821, William 1823, Richard 1826, Maria 1828 and James 1830 all bapt Arksey. That Richard was alive on the 1841 and 1851 census. That Richard is conveniently also a cordwainer.

I have further notes :
FP (FMP typo??) also have a record for a Richard who married a Susannah Lawd, Lowe or Laird, spinster, writing is hard to read in 1811 at Sheffield.

For reasons I decided not to share with myself I thought this couple were not contenders. I can't remember if this Richard was a cordwainer or not. If not that might have been why had I discounted him.

My DNA match says Willim Speight had a son Matthew through which the match is descended.

If anyone wants to play I'd be grateful. I'm off to bed now I've written it out. Hopefully an idea will come overnight.