Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 19-09-13, 16:49

Agree that this wasn't really a genealogy programme, but my goodness I found it absolutely fascinating. I remember Marianne from when she was a wild teenager...but oh so beautiful. As we are the same generation I always had a bit of sneaking envy where she was concerned, not for her life style but for her looks! She was one of the first people in the 60s to be famous for being famous I think. She certainly never seemed talented in any way other than attracting publcity. I was struck last night by what a nice woman she seems to have turned into and I found the history rivetting even though it isn't really anything new to me. Having said that, I don't think I have ever seen one of those instruction charts on how to recognise a Jew although I have heard of them. I would have liked to hear a bit about what happened to the rest of the family after the war. Presumably her grandparents came to England as she gave me the impression that she had known them.

P.S. I had always assumed that Faithfull was a stage name.
Old 19-09-13, 16:57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
Agree that this wasn't really a genealogy programme, but my goodness I found it absolutely fascinating. I remember Marianne from when she was a wild teenager...but oh so beautiful. As we are the same generation I always had a bit of sneaking envy where she was concerned, not for her life style but for her looks! She was one of the first people in the 60s to be famous for being famous I think. She certainly never seemed talented in any way other than attracting publcity. I was struck last night by what a nice woman she seems to have turned into and I found the history rivetting even though it isn't really anything new to me. Having said that, I don't think I have ever seen one of those instruction charts on how to recognise a Jew although I have heard of them. I would have liked to hear a bit about what happened to the rest of the family after the war. Presumably her grandparents came to England as she gave me the impression that she had known them.

P.S. I had always assumed that Faithfull was a stage name.
I was surprised that Marianne Faithfull wasn't a stage name.
Old 19-09-13, 17:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann from Sussex View Post
I would have liked to hear a bit about what happened to the rest of the family after the war. Presumably her grandparents came to England as she gave me the impression that she had known them.
Both of Marianne's grandparents, Arthur and Eva, died in Vienna - 1953 and 1955 respectively. Her brother, Alexander, is buried in the Grinzinger Friedhof in Vienna - he died in 1972.

Artur Wolfgang Ritter von Sacher-Massoch was born in Graz, Austria. He married Elisabeth Flora Ziprisz in Romania (and it would be Transylvania!) in 1901. The couple's son, Alexander, was born in 1901 in the Czech Republic, while Eva was born in Budapest in 1912.

Elisabeth's father was Wilhelm Ziprisz and her mother was named Therese.

I read somewhere that the Sachers were of Spanish origin.

*wonders if the family are linked to the chap who created the sacher torte*