Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > DNA Questions

Old 11-09-20, 13:25

Default My ethnicity estimate update is in

I lost my French ethnicity after the previous update. Now I've lost my Norweigan ethnicity. But I've gained a huge chunk of Scottish. Where tf did that come from? The milkman?
Old 11-09-20, 14:05
Administrator

I was wondering what the thread title meant when I looked at the forum listing. I take it you mean that Ancestry's ethnicity update is available now, Phoenix? I will go and have a look! I saw they tweeted yesterday that something exciting was happening today but they haven't announced what it is on Twitter yet.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 11-09-20, 14:51
Administrator

Well, they've managed to separate Wales out from England and NW Europe. My 9% Scotland and Ireland has been split into 4% Ireland and 1% Scotland, and I have acquired 7% Norway from somewhere (maybe I got yours, Phoenix!). I can't really say how accurate it is until I figure out who my missing ancestors are, though.

Old 11-09-20, 14:53

Yes, I could have phrased it better. Have to say that while the last update was generally acceptable, these seem bizarre. The only acceptable one is my friend who remains 100% european jewish.
Old 11-09-20, 14:58
maggie_4_7

Scotland 59%
• Scottish Central Lowlands
England & Northwestern Europe 20%
Ireland 19%
Wales 2%

Additional Communities

Scottish Lowlands, Northern England & Northern Ireland

Well I am now more Scottish, gained Wales and Ireland, lost Norway 7%, kiterunner you have my Norwegian 7%

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 11-09-20 at 15:00.
Old 11-09-20, 15:27

I have "lost" 20% England and North Western Europe and gained some Scotland, Wales and Ireland with the majority being Scots where I would have thought that the Irish amount would be larger. I've also gained a lot of Norway - about 7%! I'm also 2% more Jewish, too.

My sister's is different again....

Edit - I've just looked at how the Scotland, Wales and Ireland results are broken down and looking at the maps Scotland can include Northern Ireland. Wales and Ireland also include Brittany all of which seems to correlate a little better with what I know of my FH. Of course it all makes sense as we know that the Celtic races are very similar but it's nice to see that Ancestry are acknowledging it now.

Last edited by Sue from Southend; 11-09-20 at 15:54.
Old 11-09-20, 18:42

Mine has changed too:

England & Northwestern Europe 53%
Yorkshire & East Midlands, England West Yorkshire & Southern North Yorkshire

Scotland 36%
North East Scotland & the Northern Isles
Banff & Buchan
Moray & Gordon

Germanic Europe 8%
Sweden 3%

They still seem to be ignoring my heritage from the south of England, particularly Cornwall, Dorset, Hampshire, Sussex, Buckinghamshire, Berkshire etc.

I suspect that what is happening is that most of my matches come from my father's side, in particular his ancestors from Scotland and Yorkshire, and my mother's heritage, for which I have far fewer matches, is not being taken into consideration on such a large scale.
Old 11-09-20, 20:14
Administrator

Despite the thread title, your ethnicity estimate is not based on your own DNA matches, Elizabeth, but on a comparison of your DNA with a reference panel.

Old 11-09-20, 21:19

I have also somehow acquired 33% Scottish ancestry (I actually have none at all, and none in Northern Ireland either).

It says "Your ethnicity estimate is 33%, but it can range from 4-33%", which hardly inspires confidence in the accuracy of the results.

Previously, my Ancestry ethnicity estimates were much more accurate than the ones on MyHeritage and FTDNA, but not any more.
Old 11-09-20, 21:34
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary from Italy View Post
I have also somehow acquired 33% Scottish ancestry (I actually have none at all, and none in Northern Ireland either).

It says "Your ethnicity estimate is 33%, but it can range from 4-33%", which hardly inspires confidence in the accuracy of the results.

Previously, my Ancestry ethnicity estimates were much more accurate than the ones on MyHeritage and FTDNA, but not any more.
Yes I doubt mine now because of the 59% Scottish and the 19% Irish because other than my Scottish ancestors there isn't any Irish. So that would make 78% coming from my Scottish ancestors and 20% from England and North West Europe and I don't believe that to be right. In my research it is approx half and half with a few other strains chucked in. The last update seemed more right.