Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 19-02-16, 06:34

Default Blackrod Family Help needed please

Hi to you all I am now searching for my great great grandfathers side Grimshaws . William Grimshaw was born approx 1825 in Blackrod . I have no idea of parents names . I have looked on the online parish clerk for Blackrod , but can't find his birth , unless William wasnt is first name . I think Blackrod is also Bolton le moor it is in between Wigan and Bolton . any Help gratefully received . Thanks
Old 19-02-16, 09:29
Administrator

As there seems to be more than one William Grimshaw saying he is born in the 1820s in Blackrod y(looking at the census records) you would definitely need your William's marriage cert to discover his father's name before trying to find his baptism otherwise you may end up going down the wrong line.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-02-16, 09:34
Administrator

You say you have no idea of his parents names, but there are other threads on this site referring to his marriage to Ellen Calland . Have you got the original cert for this marriage? Was he illegitimate, as there's no father's name on this transcription?

Marriage: 11 Mar 1844 All Saints, Wigan, Lancashire, England
William Grimshaw - (X), 21, Collier, Bachelor, Scholes
Ellen Calland - (X), 21, Spinster, Ince
Bride's Father: William Calland, Collier
Witness: William Hilton, (X); Margaret Bolton, (X)
Married by Banns by: Charles Bisset, Curate
Register: Marriages 1844 - 1845, Page 5, Entry 9
Source: LDS Film 1885694

Have yo looked for William in 1841?

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 19-02-16, 11:42
Administrator

Here is the marriage certificate, Merry, and no father's name, but incredibly neat handwriting:

http://interactive.ancestry.co.uk/60...nSearchResults

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-02-16, 12:37
Administrator

Thanks Kate!

Pity you didn't mention the lack of a father's name at the marriage in your opening post Bearkins!! lol

Anyway, if it were my tree I would make a list of all the illegitimate Williams baptised at Blackrod in the right time frame and then see if I could work out whether any of the mother's married before 1841 and then try and find them on the census to see if they have a son, William living with them, either surname Grimshaw or taking the step-father's surname. Possibly a long shot, but worth a try.

Old 19-02-16, 14:24

Hi , I still wasn't sure that the Ellen Calland in Wigan was the correct marriage , as her name on the birth certificate in Scotland states she is Ellen callen as I sent for the certificate . So I didn't want to assume that they were the same thanks
Old 19-02-16, 14:28

According to the census William Grimshaw was born approx 1825 so the marriage dates don't tally with that of the age on the marriage certificate .
Old 19-02-16, 14:32
Administrator

People often lied about their ages when they got married, especially if they were minors and easier to say you were 21.

You could try getting another of the birth records to see the spelling on those for Ellen.

Old 19-02-16, 14:37
Administrator

Have you tried looking for Ellen's baptism to see if you can tie the records together that way? You have the bride's father's name and occ from the marriage record and the Ellen on the census (be she the same woman or not) says she is b abt 1823 in Wigan, so if you can find a baptism with the right father and occ at the right time in Wigan then you might be more confident about the marriage record being the right one.

Old 19-02-16, 14:54

Hi , yes I see what you mean , I still have the feeling that maybe Ellen or Helen Callen was born in Scotland , I do remember having a auntie in Glasgow although I never remembered the names . I know my mums side hadn't any Scottish ancestors only by marriage , but we did spend a lot of time in Scotland with a family with children I believed they were my cousins . But I Have no way of searching unless I go up to Glasgow . Has the Scottish office has told me that they didn't have to register a birth before a certain time . So that would scupper my chances . Thanks for all your help I have searched the on line Parish clerk in Blackrod for William Grimshaw and as yet could not find him . If you are correct he may be under his mothers name .