Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 08-06-14, 21:55

Great! Thanks Ann. Fingers crossed this request goes through smoothly!
Old 08-06-14, 22:06

Hope so - let me know if they say the same, although they shouldn't, really!
Old 08-06-14, 22:17

Ok Ann, will do.
Old 19-06-14, 11:07

Well, a successful response to my request for an estimate this time, but I'm shocked at the price - £70.00!

I can't remember what I paid for the 1830ish denization 6 or 7 years ago but I know I wouldn't have been able to justify spending anything like that sort of money. Other documents I've ordered in the past, running into three or four pages, have been less than £10.

The son in law's naturalisation papers are attached to someone's online FTM tree. He was also an Irish resident and his naturalisation was in 1891. There are 16 pages so I'm guessing the 1892 one I want would be around the same number.

I know my friend is desperate for the information, but, before I pass the details of the estimate on to her, can someone with more recent experience of ordering online from the TNA please tell me if this quote is in line with their prices these days.
Old 19-06-14, 11:16
Administrator

Does the estimate say how many "units" there are in the file, Gillian? I had an estimate recently for a file of 4 "units" which came to £48 - £12 per unit. It said "ScanA2+online" for Copying Process, which I take to mean that they have to scan 4 documents, each A2 size. I remember that the previous estimate I had was pretty hefty too, though I can't remember the details and that one has expired now so it won't let me view it.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 19-06-14, 11:43

Thanks Kite. I hadn't realised I could expand the details on the quote page until reading your post.

It says -

ScanA3online, 20 units, unit cost £3.50

After your £12 per unit quote, £3.50 almost feels like a bargain!

I think it might be worth trying for a quote for the naturalisation certificate only from the other file - if they are prepared to extract it. That should have his place of birth and the names of his parents plus perhaps the name of his wife - although that isn't vital as she was not the mother of his children - and children. It would mean missing out on statements regarding length of residence which would have helped with locating passenger lists and other potential family members.
Old 19-06-14, 13:18

Their prices for A2 copies are high, but asking them for a price on a file with a highish number of A3 sheets is always going to work out more expensive than getting a researcher to do it
Old 20-06-14, 18:48

Thanks Ann. That's useful to know.