Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Research Questions

Old 28-02-22, 10:36

Default Welsh Roman Catholic records?

I'm researching a couple where the father is Irish and the mother Scottish and the first couple of children were born in Wales.

They then settled in the Liverpool area.

Are there any online RC records for Wales? I haven't come across any so far.
Old 28-02-22, 11:13

Period? I imagine that RC churches were only in major towns. It took ages to get one started here in south London, with a foreign priest imported who could not speak English.
Old 28-02-22, 11:22

It was the 1830s, Phoenix.

The parents probably married in Ireland but two of the children were born in Wales.
Old 28-02-22, 16:41

This is South Wales, where the Newport diocese does not start until 1850: https://archiveshub.jisc.ac.uk/searc...9-a35c962c07f6

It may be like nonconformism, with registers held by priests, rather than churches.
Old 28-02-22, 17:16

I have a CD of Cardiff Catholic Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. I think I bought it some years ago from Glamorgan FHS.

Here is the description:
Description

This CD & Download is dedicated to the memory of Richard Bennett, former GFHS Project Coordinator, and is a transcription of the Catholic Parish Church Registers for the following Churches:- St. David's Baptisms 1836 - 1915; Burials 1839 - 1873; Marriages 1839 - 1915. St Paul's Baptisms 1881 - 1915: Marriages 1882 - 1915. St Peter's Baptisms 1861 - 1915: Marriages 1862 - 1915. NB Burials only available for St David's.

They have been invaluable for my research. Were any of them in Cardiff? If so, I will look at the CD and help if I can.

Pat
Old 28-02-22, 17:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderflower View Post
I have a CD of Cardiff Catholic Baptisms, Marriages and Burials. I think I bought it some years ago from Glamorgan FHS.

Here is the description:
Description

This CD & Download is dedicated to the memory of Richard Bennett, former GFHS Project Coordinator, and is a transcription of the Catholic Parish Church Registers for the following Churches:- St. David's Baptisms 1836 - 1915; Burials 1839 - 1873; Marriages 1839 - 1915. St Paul's Baptisms 1881 - 1915: Marriages 1882 - 1915. St Peter's Baptisms 1861 - 1915: Marriages 1862 - 1915. NB Burials only available for St David's.

They have been invaluable for my research. Were any of them in Cardiff? If so, I will look at the CD and help if I can.

Pat
Pat, thanks for the offer. I don't think they were Cardiff.

Ellen Reilly born c. 1835 in Carmarthenshire, although censuses are inconsistent.
Robert Reilly born Wales c. 1838.

Parents were Robert and Helen/Ellen Reilly.
Old 28-02-22, 17:47

Have had a look through the CD with various spellings of Reilly but have not found either of them. In fact, there were no Reillys with the name Robert for the child or the Father. very few with Ellen/Helen but they were older and different parents. Sorry to not been of help.

Pat
Old 28-02-22, 18:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elderflower View Post
Have had a look through the CD with various spellings of Reilly but have not found either of them. In fact, there were no Reillys with the name Robert for the child or the Father. very few with Ellen/Helen but they were older and different parents. Sorry to not been of help.

Pat
Pat, thanks for looking. I didn't hold out much hope of finding them.
They certainly got about. Robert was born in Ireland, Helen in Scotland, two of the children in Ireland, two in Wales and the rest in Liverpool!