Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 04-12-12, 09:51

Default oh it is so exciting to have a lead.

I know my 3g grandma is named Margaret and she very helpfully married Charles Jones.

Beyond that I know nothing as the surname on the parish register of her wedding is unreadable. I also can't show anyone here as I appear to have lost the photo I took.

Margaret appears to died as her husband remarried and I've found a likely looking death that lists her father as William on the NSW BMD index. Again not helpful with no surname.

I have been revisiting my info and her daughter's death certificate lists Margaret's surname as Fahey. Still not that helpful as I have no DOB or date of arrival in Australia but I have gone looking. I have found an Assisted Passenger list record of a Margaret Fahey that looks good. This Margaret's father is William, her mother is Elizabeth (daughter's name) and she has a brother already living in Australia, living not too far from where Margaret got married. The downside is she was from Ireland.

I know I have more digging to do but this looks so promising. I am so excited to have a lead after all these years.
Old 04-12-12, 10:49
Administrator

I'm pretty sure that Fahey is an Irish name, Kit, so that even if this turns out not to be the right Margaret, the right one will probably still originate from Ireland.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 04-12-12, 10:53
Administrator

*agrees with Kate*

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010
Old 04-12-12, 11:13

*stamps foot* I don't like Ireland, they are not research user friendly and it looks like the other 3g grandma on that line is also from Ireland. So not fair.

Also Margaret's brother does not appear to have died. I've heard of the luck of the Irish and all that but surely they do die over there?
Old 04-12-12, 12:01
Administrator

If you give us some dates etc we could see if we can find anything to help, Kit?

Old 04-12-12, 20:32

The Assisted Migrants records could be helpful, if they say more than Just "Ireland" for native place. If you look at the indexes on NSW State Records Website, the indexes sometimes give 2 Reels in Reference. The first reels (I thnk they are the Immigration Agents Lists) are the ones that have been digitised and are available online - that gives occupation, native place, religion. The other reel is the Immigration Deposit Journal which often gives parents name and place as well as the information in the Immigration Agents Journal, but you need to be able to look at the microfilms.

I found some good infomation on my assisted migrants, parents names (and whether deceased) which was very useful in finding them before migration

Diane
Old 05-12-12, 01:13

Thanks for the offer Kate and Diane both sets of records are digitised on ancestry. I don't know if they are complete though.

Margaret married Charles Jones in Orange on 12/7/1853. I have seen the parish register but as I said above my photo has disappeared. The NSW BMD have the name as Teaghy but it could be anything. I'm sure I posted the photo at the time and no one could decide.

Margaret and Charles had a daughter Elizabeth in 1853. Margaret is dead by 1862 as Charles remarries.

I think this is the best death on NSW BMD: 4091/1861 JONES MARGARET WILLIAM DIED ORANGE ORANGE.

I will order the certificate for Christmas but am waiting to see what else to get before I do.

Daughter Elizabeth marries, has 3 children and dies in 1876. Her death certificate says her MMN is Fahey.

I found this record on ancestry:
Margaret Fahey

It is an ancestry.co.uk link but for those who can't read it Margaret Fahey was on the Agincourt that arrived in April 1852. She was 25 and a house servant from Woodford Co. Galway. Her parents are William and Elizabeth (both deceased) and she has a brother Michael living in Bathurst. She is roman catholic and can read.

That is all I can think of. I am off to recheck the Immigration -Deposit Journal Diane mentioned. Let me know if you have any questions and thanks for looking.
Old 05-12-12, 07:19
Administrator

The name is transcribed as Fiaghy in this book:
http://www.frankmurray.com.au/?page_id=3691

Sounds like Fahey! Also it shows it was a Roman Catholic wedding so that fits.

Old 05-12-12, 07:25
Administrator

NSW BDM has a Margaret Jones birth registered in 1858 in Orange district, parents Charles and Margaret. And a Margaret Jones death in 1861 in Orange, parents Charles and Margaret.

Old 05-12-12, 07:56
Administrator

Ancestry has a Michael Fahy arriving in NSW in Nov 1849, age 38, a farm labourer from Balnikill, Co Galway, son of William and Elizabeth both dead, religion C of R (does that mean Roman Catholic?), can't read or write, relative Nancy Broderick in Sydney (I can't make out how she is related to him), wife Mary 36, daughter of John and Madeline Fahy, children Bridget 16, Margaret 14, Patrick 11, Eliza 7, and Michael 1. Mary's mother living at Balnikill, children born at Balnikill, Galway.

Possible for Margaret's brother?