Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 16-03-15, 12:03
Administrator

I do think the couple I found on the 1901 census are likely to be the couple who got married in Firies.

Family History News updated 29th Feb
Findmypast 1871 census update
Old 16-03-15, 13:01
Administrator

Having read back through the other threads about these people, it seems that the John Brosnahan who went to NZ is the John Brosman (23) who arrived in NZ on the Star of India in 1873 with his parents Hugh and Deborah, and brother Cornelius (15) , with John and Cornelius being listed as single men. There is a single woman Margt Brosnan age 17 on the same ship but she is not listed with the family. (looking at the images on FamilySearch)
(Edit - the Kerrytown Brosnahans book says that Margaret is listed with the family in the records of nomination for assisted passage but not on the passenger list, and was probably just included with them so she could get free passage to NZ. She is the one you are asking about in post #10, isn't she?)

But I don't think that this John and Margaret are the married couple or that this Margaret is John's sister, nor that she is your Margaret Bowler who became a nun.

Did you ever get a copy of the John Brosnahan / Margaret Bowler marriage certificate from Ireland?

Old 16-03-15, 13:13
Administrator

There is a Margaret Bowler, single, 18, housemaid, from Kerry, emigrating to New Zealand in 1875 on the "Blairgowrie". But it looks as though she has a brother Michael. I don't suppose your Margaret had a brother Michael, Libby?

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....-32?cc=1609792
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3....3102,119725601

(Michael is age 20 on the passenger list, a farm labourer.)

Old 16-03-15, 19:41

Kate.......I have not found a brother named Michael....but....my grandfather, Margaret's nephew was Michael, so possibly a family name.

I suppose my issue is why Marg told so many lies when she joined the convent if she was not hiding something.
Old 16-03-15, 22:08
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarrysMum View Post
Kate.......I have not found a brother named Michael....but....my grandfather, Margaret's nephew was Michael, so possibly a family name.

I suppose my issue is why Marg told so many lies when she joined the convent if she was not hiding something.
Oooh, Irish Genealogy has a Michael!!!
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy..../7195dd0238176

Michael Bowler baptised 15 Nov 1854 at Firies, Kerry, RC. Residence Gearha, parents Patrick Bowler and Deborah Brosnan. So that passenger list entry has to be your Margaret, doesn't it? Sorry to ruin the story!

Old 16-03-15, 22:34

Thank you......that wasn't there when we have looked before. Might go and see if there are others now as well.

It doesn't ruin the story completely Kate. Marg still told fibs to the convent and is still buried at a different angle to the other nuns........so still some mystery.

Also if Marg and Mick went to NZ in 1875,it gives me some hope of finding when their brothers, John and Patrick went as well.

Also odd that Marg didn't enter the convent until 1888. Maybe she just got fed up with the local fellows....lol