Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History General Discussion

Old 01-06-18, 03:34

Default Parish register boredom

Familysearch have been hiding registers online saying you have to go into a branch but I found a bishops transcript I could access and have been searching, without success, to find a link between an Elizabeth who left property to a Sarah, a relative of OH's.

I've not had many thoughts while scrolling pages except Amie's parents were quite rebellious in their choice and Phillip Searle's anonymous wife deserves a medal for all the children she has had (although son John, who married Elizabeth should have made an appearance by now).

Then I come across the name Fardinnando son of Fardinnando which was a delightful shock, although that is an awful name to saddle a child with.

oh and I now think I need to look at a different register for a different parish to get the information I need.
Old 01-06-18, 03:57

ooh ohh 1760, after 40 years of trawling - baptised children have mothers.
Old 01-06-18, 07:08

Kit

Oh just wait till you find a burial register which says "buried the wife of Fred Smith" or whoever. Even in death the poor woman didn't get her name recorded.

OC
Old 01-06-18, 11:21

I've found a few registers where a man married but there is no mention of a second party.

The mother's being named in the registers didn't last.

There was also a minister who quite possibly is related to OH but the poor man wrote so badly he only signed the register and his initials are impossible to read. The person who copied the registers on the other hand had lovely hand writing.

I was getting excited for Philip Searle's wife, I thought she had died, but the poor dear kept producing children. I guess he may have remarried but he did it at a different parish if he did.
Old 01-06-18, 15:03

Bear in mind that the parish registers often have more information than the BTs, and different handwriting.
Old 01-06-18, 23:36

I know Mary but I can only see what familysearch will allow me to access.

The current records I'm looking at have not scanned 1 page. The page where OHs 6g grandfather marries and has their first child. I have the date of baptism for this child from the transcriptions but the marriage hasn't made it there either. So she is known as Mrs C as she is not named in any of the other children's baptisms either.
Old 02-06-18, 08:06

Some parish registers are annoying - I have one chap who is christened as the son of John Searle, no mention of the poor woman who did all the work bringing him into the world. Son is also spelt "sun"!

Some registers, however, give you the mother's maiden name and the child's actual birthdate too.

It's pot luck whether you get a badly stained, faded illegible scrawl or a beautiful bit of handwriting that could have been written yesterday.
Brewer, Broad, Eplett & Pope in Cornwall
Smoothy & Willsher/Wiltshire in Essex & Surrey
Emms, Mealing + variants, Purvey & Williams in Gloucestershire
Barnes, Dunt, Gray, Massingham, Saul/Seals/Sales in Norfolk
Matthews & Nash in Warwickshire
Old 03-06-18, 10:03

I love the readable old fashioned handwriting, where there was effort made to set everything out neatly.

I just had a great burial - Elizabeth, wife of William, the mayor. Absolutely wonderful except that I'm not sure if my William was a mayor and the William who was mayor was not mayor until 10 years later.