Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere!

Go Back   Genealogists' Forum - We have branches everywhere! > Research > Family History News and Information

Old 30-11-22, 08:50
maggie_4_7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizabethHerts View Post
This is why I dislike Scotland's People. I have wasted two attempts. They should be in the Glasgow/Lanarkshire area but can't find any trace of them.

My father was born in 1920 and no sign of him at all!

I tried searching for my grandmother's family by putting in one of her sister's names - Robina. I got the wrong family.
I wish you could specify the birth place as my great grandfather was born in Kincardineshire.
So was your father born in Lanarkshire?

I might be teaching you to suck eggs but the registration districts are dodgy in Glasgow. If you search only put county.

Oh and a big age range of 10 years.

Last edited by maggie_4_7; 30-11-22 at 08:52.
Old 30-11-22, 08:51

Maybe they're still in Kincardineshire instead of Glasgow.

How many Robina's did you get in the age range you were looking for?

Mind you I have never found the 1881 census entry for OH's grandfather who was born in 1879- irrc he wasn't with his mother.
Old 30-11-22, 08:53

I have got my great-grandparents and their three unmarried daughters at Govan Hill where they were in 1911. They had been entered on the census return as Johnstone and not Johnston.

However, the search facility is rubbish. I had to try three different permutations to find them.
Old 30-11-22, 09:07

My father was born at Govan Hill in March 1920 and baptised at the parish church in May 1920.

My grandfather was in the Royal Flying Corps until 1919. He was an aeronautical engineer and was born in Stretford, Lancashire. He moved around for his work a lot (Coventry, Isle of Wight, Liverpool, Farnborough, etc).
I couldn't find them in the 1921 Census for England and Wales so thought they were probably still in Scotland. I thought he might have been working there after his marriage.
Old 30-11-22, 09:12
Administrator

I really do think that if SP insist on having exclusive rights to the 1911 and 1921 censuses, they should improve the search facility. I remember with older censuses that there were people I could never find until the other sites acquired indexes and I could use their better searches. I feel that SP have always worked on the assumption that everyone in Scotland always stayed in the same place where they were born, and of course that is far from the truth.

Family History News updated 21st May
Lancashire Non-conformist records new on Ancestry
Old 30-11-22, 09:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiterunner View Post
I really do think that if SP insist on having exclusive rights to the 1911 and 1921 censuses, they should improve the search facility. I remember with older censuses that there were people I could never find until the other sites acquired indexes and I could use their better searches. I feel that SP have always worked on the assumption that everyone in Scotland always stayed in the same place where they were born, and of course that is far from the truth.
I wholeheartedly agree, Kate. Johnston is such a common surname but if I could specify birth place I'm sure I'd find results much more quickly, without wasting credits. My Scottish ancestors started moving around a lot in the latter half of the 19th century.

If I could search my grandfather using his birth place in Lancashire, I'd have a better chance of finding him. His surname was Alexander, but the family originally hailed from Wiltshire, not Scotland!
Old 30-11-22, 11:23

Oh, what a surprise - but not the one I thought I was going to have, lol. Grandmother is living with her widowed father and six siblings, four of whom I didn't know existed. Lots of new stuff to research then.

But still no closer to the truth.

OC
Old 30-11-22, 11:50
Administrator

That's exciting, OC.

Old 30-11-22, 12:11

Kate, it's exciting but also puzzling - why didn't my mother ever mention them, including a set of twins!

OC
Old 30-11-22, 12:23
Administrator

The price to view a census image is 6 credits / £1.50, same as for the other censuses, but what on earth is the census certificate that you can order for £12?