View Single Post
Old 08-06-21, 12:17

Reading the History of Parliament Online, and the will of William Wise in conjunction with the Totnes parish records:

William Wise made his will in 1625/6 when all his children, including John, were under age. His wife was Frysowyde (various spellings!)

Walter Goodridge made his will in 1626 naming his brother Thomas Prestwood and his sister Mary P. Walter also in his will mentions his aunt Babb. Savery, Brooking and Wise are some of the few Totnes names that I did not spot in her will - she names immense numbers of her extended family. (Improbable as it seems, it looks as if Mary Dowse married Geoffrey Babb in 1558)

Apologies for disappearing down rabbit holes, but I have connections with the Dowse family.

Samuel Wise, will made1633, has wife Wilmott and numerous children (several under age), including a daughter Fridiswid, clearly recently married to Thomas Triggs.

It seems more likely that It was William's widow who married Thomas Prestwood after his first wife Mary nee Goodridge died:

28 May 1646 Metc? Mrs? Fryswid Prestwood, wyfe of Mr Thomas Prestwood buryed
NB The couple were married in Totnes, but the clerk made such a meal of their names that I had to hunt under Thomas to find them.

In those circumstances it would be natural for his daughter to marry her son. (Though it is possible that Wilmott died and Samuel remarried)