View Single Post
Old 03-05-22, 20:18

Seraphina Donclere was my 3rd great grandmother. She married Lt-Col Dunbar Hunter 19th Foot (Green Howards). He died in 1803. They had one child Charlotte Hunter who was sent back to England after her mother died in 1810. Charlotte married my 2nd great grandfather Richard Bevan in 1823. Further details on my tree "Talbot of Stone Castle".

My father's family were in India for 150 years and now I find also some of my mother's! Seraphina Donclere was my 3rd great grandmother. She married Lt-Col Dunbar Hunter (1773-1803) 19th Regiment of Foot (Green Howards). He died in Ceylon in 1803. Seraphina died in 1810 in Kishanganj (child birth?). They had one child Charlotte Hunter who was returned to UK to her grandmother Hunter and later married my 2nd great-grandfather Richard Bevan.

After Dunbar's death in Ceylon in 1803 Seraphina married Lt-Col William Slessor (1778-1810). Seraphina died in 1810 in Kishanganj (child birth?) and William shot himself (accident? Maybe not?) also in Kishanganj in 1810. They also had one child Harriett Slessor. Again she was sent to UK to her grandmother Slessor.

Details on my family tree "Talbot of Stone Castle" on Ancestry. Also the Bevan's family tree. Remaining mysteries:
1: Where was Seraphina born and when? Since Dunbar died in Ceylon she must have lived there too but she may have come from anywhere?
2: So was Charlotte born in Ceylon?
3: Why would the London Gazette list Seraphina as "intestate" when she left a detailed will and list of belongings? Also why would they refer to her as Mrs Seraphina Donclere when she was either Mrs Hunter or Mrs Slessor?
4: Was there another Seraphina Donclere. Perhaps her mother? She would have been Mrs Donclere.

Any help much appreciated!

The mystery deepens! Spinster???!!!

Administration with will annexed of Seraphina Donclere of Kissengunge, Bengal, India, spinster.

Harriet Bazett, nee Slessor, was the administratrix and one of the residuary legatees, and daughter of the testatrix. The will was dated 1809, and bequeathed items to Seraphina's illegitimate children and to a friend who was the mistress of an Indian Civil Service official. The administration was extracted from the records by Pitman & Sons of London, solicitors.)

Col (Ret'd) Richard Talbot
Vancouver Island
[email protected]