Thread: El salvador
View Single Post
Old 18-06-21, 08:07
Administrator

In general it is probably easier to construct a family tree for ancestors from the UK than for many other countries. That said, my own tree, which I consider to be fairly typical for ancestors born in England, looks like this:

I have all my ancestors going back to all my 32 3xg-grandparents - most were born in the late 18thC through to the first few years of the 19thC.

Moving back three more generations to 6xg-grandparents, where you might expect 256 ancestors (though likely a few less because of cousin marriages), I only have 41 people recorded.

Going back another three generations to my 9xg-grandparents I only have four people recorded. Two of those were probably born around 1600, but I have not been able to find anything about them before they married.

There are other people on this site who have got back further, but in general it would only be on one or two lines and of course if you are lucky enough to be able to go back a long way on a line or two, you won't know which lines that might be on until you have done all the research you can on all the lines from yourself going back! Some people just search their father's paternal line. If I had done that I would have got back to my 5xg-grandfather who was probably born in the 1750s.

Of course we can't research our ancestors in isolation - any attempt to do that is extremely likely to lead to mistakes or restrict the number of ancestors you can find - I have a little over 200 ancestors on my tree but in order to find them it has been necessary to research extended family groups and in some cases whole villages of people, so my full tree has a total of just under 10,000 individuals.

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010