Thread: Do I tell?
View Single Post
Old 13-10-12, 07:42

Unfortunately, Ancestry member trees - in particular - are bringing family research and researchers into disrepute. In much the same way as did the fraudulent lineages created by Gustave Anjou 1863-1942. Some of these forged "genealogies" are still causing untold anguish for and among serious researchers and the LDS.

I am afraid that although it sounds churlish, because of the lack of integrity of some researchers, I will not now publish anything on the net regarding my family for public consumption, and I am also extremely wary as to what I allow to be seen or is sent out by me to anyone privately.
I have been caught several times where my hard-won research has obviously been copied and then published elsewhere verbatim with no credit being given, and also many times when I have contacted people outlining possible errors in their information, I have been roundly insulted or ignored after proving my point.
After a while I think that you develop a gut instinct about the integrity of online contacts from the way that they approach you but one still makes the odd mistake.
Victoria