View Single Post
Old 30-05-21, 09:12
Administrator

With regard to the child, if it's the one registered in the mother's surname, then, yes, it could be Edith's, but there are quite a few other unmarried Sh?r?tt women in the area and sometimes an illegitimate child would be born away from where the woman lived so that means a load more ladies who might have come in to Cheshire for the birth and then moved on again.

Thomas and Gladys appear to have two children with them in 1939 and they may well be the son of Thomas and Edith and the one child they seem to have had together. I have looked at two other Sh?rr?tt women married soon after 1930 in Wirrel district and both of those have the correct number of children living with them in 1939 to reflect the number born in their marriages.

Of course sometimes an illegitimate child (or any child!) ends up living in a different part of the family, so the truth may be different again. Only to add that the 1930 child doesn't appear with the maternal grandmother in 1939, which could have been a possibility.

I think you may be stuck with getting the birth cert if you want to find out more about that child!

"Something has been filled in that I didn't know was blank" Matthew Broderick WDYTYA? March 2010