View Single Post
Old 26-02-10, 17:47

Yes, it's John Schofield, spinner on the marriage cert.

I'm not 100% sure that I have the right baptism, but the details fit. Someone from FTF kindly looked it up for me in the PRs; the address given is Fleet St., Manchester, and the father's occupation is spinner. However, Schofield is a very common name in Lancs, and spinner is a pretty common occupation.

It looks as though John died before 1851. These are the censuses I have:

1851: Jane (widow) and Mary Ann are living in Myrtle St., Hulme. Jane's a charwoman and Mary Ann's a servant.
HO107; Piece: 2221; Folio: 923; Page: 15

1861: Mary Ann is now married to William Grimshaw, and they're living in Hulme with their 5 children, Mary Ann's mother Jane Schofield, and a mysterious uncle, John Hindle. I was hoping he'd turn out to be Jane's brother, but I can't find a Jane Hindle/John Schofield marriage. Hindle and Grimshaw are also very common Lancs names; he may have married one of William's father's sisters, but I haven't found a marriage so far.
Class: RG9; Piece: 2896; Folio: 84; Page: 43

1871: Mary Ann had died; William had remarried:
Class: RG10; Piece: 4459; Folio: 26; Page: 3
and I think this may be Jane, although the family she's visiting doesn't ring any bells:
Class: RG10; Piece: 3991; Folio: 62; Page: 51

I haven't found a death for Jane; there are just too many Jane Schofields in Lancs.

Last edited by Mary from Italy; 26-02-10 at 17:52.