View Single Post
Old 30-09-13, 16:11

Default Alexis Soyer mentioned on Countryfile last night

Did anyone see Countryfile last night where Matt Baker was talking to an army cook about the army cooking stove invented by Alexis Soyer? Soyer was a French chef working in London who was asked to invent a portable gas stove to enable meals to be cooked by troops in the field during the Crimean War. The person he asked to make the stoves was my 1st cousin 4 times removed, Thomas Henry Phillips born in Brighton, Sussex in about 1830. Thomas was a gas engineer with his own business in London at the time of the Crimean War and he spent time in the Crimea servicing the stoves he had built. I had never heard of Alexis Soyer until I came across one of Thomas's sons during my research who had the odd (to me at the time) name of Alexis Soyer Phillips. I then made contact with Thomas's gt gt grandson who told me the story of Thomas's business connection with Soyer and the friendship between the two which made Thomas name a son born during the war after Soyer. It was interesting to me to actually see one of the stoves in action on Countryfile last night.