View Single Post
Old 27-07-21, 22:39

So, I have looked back over the tree from Humphrey Tyrrell back to Edward I, and with some adjustments, it is pretty well documented in various places. It's the bit between Humphrey and Mary Terrell that I need to be more sure of.

And I need to work out how to make some kind of record for myself. I made an Excel spreadsheet with each person in a cell, but it difficult to add parents to each person without upsetting the layout. Needs some more thought.

I tried to work out how much, if any DNA I would have from these distant ancestors. The Ancestry lower limit of 6cMs can take your common ancestors back to your 5th or 6th great grandparents, but how much would you have from your 22nd great grandparents?

I share about 3500cM with my Dad - I rounded it up to 4000 for easy calculation - I figure that I would have less than 0.0005cM of Edward I's DNA - thats not counting that there may be cousin marriages along the way, still it would be way less than 0.001 of a centimorgan.

And just think - Richard Fitzalan (1314-1376) and Isabel le Despenser (1312-1356) were married at 13 and 14 and had their marriage annulled in 1344, making their son Edmund, illegitimate and unable to inherit his fathers Earldom - that went to his half-brother Richard. Imagine, I may not be here if he had become the Earl of Arundel.

I have to say being declared illegitimate, does not seemed to have lowered his standing in the world.

I have always been fascinated by the "great" families, how they are related to each other, so now I have a real reason to spend time investigating them.